This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Tagged: 

Why doesn't preview work with Layout Builder?

• Creator
    Topic
    tunethetemple
    Participant

On my homepage (which is built with a specific layout I created) I am unable to see editing changes when I click on preview.

I have to update before I can see the editing changes.

It also doesn’t work on another person’s computer, so I know it isn’t my browser.

Is there an easy fix so that I can preview changes before updating?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Apologies, but I’m afraid I don’t have an answer for you on that one. I’m not able to reproduce any similar issue on my end, and I can’t say I’ve ever had anyone else post about the same issue. Maybe something to Google around a little bit more about? Maybe from another third-party plugin you’re using?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I think I understand now what this was about. The solution is to make is so your custom layout is attached to an actual page.

Is your homepage template attached to a static page? If so, with Layout Builder v2.0+, you can change it around so the layout is actually saved to to the page, and thus previewing should work.

tunethetemple
    Participant

Thanks Jason… I see what you have done here; I watched the layout builder and the “how to create templates videos” you sent me in my other posted question below:

Post Link: http://support.themeblvd.com/forums/topic/custom-layout-is-now-synced-with-template-after-theme-builder-update/#post-19530

But I don’t have any way to open the elements up even though I’ve unsynced my static homepage and chosen “homepage layout” under starting point. Unfortunately, my elements do NOT have any arrow to the right of “Element Label”.

see here: http://screencast.com/t/3tGxjZo8A6

what next???
    Cathy

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

@tunethetemple What version of Barely Corporate do you have? Are you up-to-date with it? And if you are up-to-date, did you try clearing your browser cache after making updates?

http://themeblvd.com/changelog?theme=barelycorporate

tunethetemple
    Participant

Jason, according to my dashboard, http://screencast.com/t/J2p0V66somU my theme is updated..

however, the version that I have of Barelycorporate in Theme Folder says verion 4.0.2

so… apparently, I do NOT have the latest version. It apparently is not informing me that I do in fact need to update.

hmmm…

how do I update without WordPress giving me a notification to update?

no, I did not clear about my browser cache. but I just tried that and it didn’t help… preview doesn’t work still.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

The previewing should work if you’ve mode this change, meaning your layout is now a part of a specific page you’re editing, opposed to saved externally to a template (not technically part of the page, as WordPress sees it). If it doesn’t I’m not quite sure what’s going on there.

However, I was more concerned with the arrows not showing up, which would obviously prevent you from editing anything. This I believe is what’s attributed to you being out-of-date with the theme, as your version of the theme is from before WordPress re-designed the admin interface in WordPress 3.8.

As for updating —

(1) To manually update, you’d just download from ThemeForest, and upload it to yoru WordPress site via FTP (or however you manage files on your site). Just the standard process for any WordPress theme and manging files on your host.

(2) If you want automatic updates and notifications through your WordPress dashboard, you need to set this up at Appearance > Updates, by putting in your ThemeForest credentials you purchased the theme with. This will allow the theme to hook up with Envato servers to stream those updates to you.

For info on both methods, see here: http://support.themeblvd.com/docs/theme-updates/#themeforest

Again, make sure to clear your browser cache after updating the theme.

tunethetemple
    Participant

Jason, thank you!

we updated to the latest version. and I now have the arrows showing up for each element. YAY!!

I do notice, however, that I have trouble finding the sidebar layout option

see screenshot here: http://screencast.com/t/iqLy007w

Cathy

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Now, that’s a new one I haven’t gotten from anyone else. I’m making sure on my end with latest version of the theme and plugin, and can’t reproduce. Hm, so something has to be unique about your setup. In the screenshot I see some sort of 3rd-party interface on the page editor. Is it possible this plugin or maybe another one could be interfering in some way?

tunethetemple
    Participant

Hi Jason, I am away on vacation but taking a few minutes to update you.

somehow I got the sidebar layout option to work on my home page before I left on vacation. I have no idea how I did it! So I have my right sidebar and widgets back for my homepage, which is really all I need.

HOWEVER, for the future… and to figure out what the heck is going on … today I created a test template very similar to my homepage layout. and experimenting with different things…

1. as long as I use, (from the starting point) any of your sample layouts, the sidebar layouts option appears and is available to choose from before publishing
    2. BUT … when I use the starting point of either of my created templates (homepage or test), the sidebar layouts option disappears immediately.
    3. AND… When I sync to either of my templates, the sidebar layouts disappear as well.

OH!!! I figured it out…. the sidebar layout options are not there while creating a page with my templates. HOWEVER – AFTER PUBLISHING THE PAGE, AND GOING BACK IN TO EDIT – THEY APPEAR!!!! YAY!

ha! yay!! okay, now I can use created templates as long as I remember this issue.

has anyone else reported this???

Cathy

tunethetemple
    Participant

The Preview Problem: here is another test working with the Preview issue: (I did clean out my cache, by the way, after updating to the latest version).

using my templates that I created,

1. preview works fine in any element BEFORE publishing a new page. It works in promo box, content box, and a column box…
    2. AFTER PUBLISHING A PAGE: preview works in every element EXCEPT the content box. Preview features show no changes I make in content.

After systematic testing, the above is consistent. I can’t preview anything in my main content box of my created templates. I have to update to see any changes I make. Bummers!!

Cathy

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

2. BUT … when I use the starting point of either of my created templates (homepage or test), the sidebar layouts option disappears immediately.

This is helpful. I can re-create this issue on my end, as well. It seems to just be a bug with how the interface is updated, there in front of you with AJAX, on the screen. However, updating the page or refreshing the Edit Page screen brings it back.

3. AND… When I sync to either of my templates, the sidebar layouts disappear as well.

This is actually supposed to happen, because when you sync with a template, the sidebar layout is then part of the template you edit over in the Templates section of your WP admin.

2. AFTER PUBLISHING A PAGE: preview works in every element EXCEPT the content box. Preview features show no changes I make in content.

When you say “the content box” are you referring to specifically including content from the current page?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster
    tunethetemple
    Participant

Jason,

we have not done the update yet… hoping to get to that later today.

meanwhile:

I see that #3 above does work correctly in my test (when synced to a template, the sidebar aligns with what I set up in the template) ! good work 🙂

referring to the second #2 above, – yes, when I say content box, I am referring to the content element associated with the current page. this is where preview doesn’t work for me.

okay, I will get back to you after we are able to do the update. I have a friend who helps me with this and he is not available yet…

Cathy

tunethetemple
    Participant

okay, we updated to the version you sent us. version 2.0.3

Results:

SIDEBAR LAYOUT ISSUE: appears to be fixed! … I used the starting point of my test template and the option for sidebar layouts is still there before publishing and after publishing the page. Good work!

PREVIEW of Content box: YAY! this works too now.

preview works before publishing and preview works after publishing the page as well.
    it is so much easier to work with my homepage now that I can preview the changes.

thank you, Jason!
    Cathy

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Barely Corporate Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.