This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Upgrading from 1.0.3 to 1.1.6

• Creator
    Topic
    chill986

I am trying to use the child theme provided in the 1.1.6 version in order to not lose changes that I’ve made to the 1.0.3 version. I took over website management of this site (billmayer-saddles.com) last year, and have only recently been able to update the theme.

Part of the modifications include changes to the sidebar.php (I’ve added ubermenu to the top area above the header), and I think the CSS – but the main menu on the new version looks dramatically different from the 1.0.3 version. It looks like you are using some kind of mega menu (similar to ubermenu) instead of what was being used before. Also the width of the area containing the menu on the newer version looks to be 800 whereas on the old version it’s the same width as the content (960).

Can you help me get the child theme working? When I try to activate it (as bill-mayer-saddles), it says “framework not found” or something like that.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

In the newer child theme you’re using, open up the functions.php, and comment out this line:

require_once( get_template_directory() . '/framework/themeblvd.php' );

Like this:

// require_once( get_template_directory() . '/framework/themeblvd.php' );

Then, after you’ve updated to Arcadian 1.1, you can go back to the child theme’s functions.php and uncomment this line again. Including the framework in the child theme’s functions.php just makes it a little easier to do action hook modifications, but this feature didn’t exist yet in your version of Arcadian.

chill986

Ok thanks, but before I go there – I couldn’t find the css that controls the width of the menu. Where would I find the class or div id?

btw,

require_once( get_template_directory() . '/framework/themeblvd.php' );

isn’t in the functions.php file, but rather

require_once ( TEMPLATEPATH . '/framework/themeblvd.php' );

is. I am guessing they are essentially identical.

Hoping to get site updated tomorrow. Thanks again!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Are you using some sort of inspector? Here’s an example of how you can quickly find something like this with Google Chrome’s developer tools:

http://www.uploadblvd.com/uploads/image_52ec107ed4da1.png

========

For CSS changes, it’s a good idea to use a tool like firebug or Google Chrome’s built-in developer tools to locate them and then put the edits either in your child theme or in the “Custom CSS” option on your theme options page.

Also, here’s a helpful tutorial on how to use Firebug – http://vimeo.com/20917974. The only thing I’d suggest not doing is actually making edits to the theme’s CSS files, as it shows at the end of that video. However, the video serves as a good introduction to Firebug and how it can be used to find what CSS is effecting certain areas of your site without ever digging around in any files.

chill986

Yeah, I’m very comfortable with firebug but where the menu container is found wasn’t immediately obvious to me, and I hate for the site to look bad while I search for the relevant css. I’ll figure it out, but thank you anyway!

Cindy

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

One thing that’s nice about Google Chrome’s developer tools is you can expand the different elements, take your mouse, and hover along the different elements in the inspector. Then, as you do that, those elements will then light up on the website. For me personally, this is the quickest way to figure it out.

For example, just now, as I am checking the different elements, I just stop when I see the box light up around the container of the menu. Then, I click that element, and its relevant CSS shows up in the right side of the inspector.

[edit] Well I guess Firebug does the same thing…

chill986

LOL yeah it does – and for some reason I like doing all my development work on Firefox, while I do my social media / seo and email on google chrome. Go figure.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘The Arcadian Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.