This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Upgrade Alyeska from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2

• Creator
    Topic
    kevinp
    Participant

I upgraded from Alyeska v2.1.5 to v 3.0.1 at the first of August. Per the instructions, I also installed the new ThemeBlvd plugins and followed the instructions to re-establish my background. The site was working well in Chrome, but I started getting some reports of issues with displaying in IE (8 and 9). Before digging into troubleshooting too far, I decided to update Alyeska v3.0.1 to v3.0.2. I also updated plugin “Theme Blvd Sliders” to v1.1.2.

After upgrading to Alyeska v3.0.2, I found that I had to go back in and re-establish the background again. The background .png file was still in my media library from the work performed after the v3.0.1 upgrade, but I had to reset the display options. Is this step going to be required after every upgrade of the Alyeska theme?

Also, I am now having issues with the menus not displaying properly in Chrome or IE (new problem that was not present before upgrade from v3.0.1 to v3.0.2

I have a child theme, but no customization. Any thoughts on the cause of the issue?

We are still working on building the site, but I need to get past these issues before going much further.

http://www.pacettidesign.com

Thanks.

–Kevin.

Edit:

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    kevinp
    Participant

Trying to add a link to an image showing menu differences between v3.0.1 and v3.0.2:
    http://tinypic.com/r/2q0kjmv/5

kevinp
    Participant

Update:
    I got the menus to display correctly again. I had to go back into Appearance > Menus. In Theme Locations, I had to re-select my “Main Menu” under Primary Navigation and click [Save]. Is this a normal step we will have to repeat (like re-establishing the background image) each time we upgrade the theme? I am trying to build a list of all actions required after each theme upgrade.

I am still having display issues in IE 8. Examples of issues include:
    – Logo in header not displaying
    – Portfolio items not displaying properly in the grid (items are left aligned, chopped off, and most images do not display)

These issues do not occur in Chrome.

As noted in first post, I have a child theme but no customization.

Thanks.

–Kevin.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Kevin,

These things shouldn’t be happening if you’re simply updating the theme files. Everything you’re describing just sounds like the typical symptoms of changing themes. Can you tell me a little more about the process you’re going through to actually make the update? I have a feeling something is off here with how you’re updating the theme files. So, let’s start with that.

kevinp
    Participant

Jason,

Here are the steps I followed to update the Alyeska v3.0.1 to v3.0.2:
    – Backed up my WP database
    – Downloaded and unzipped the Alyeska v3.0.2 update: “themeforest-164366-alyeska-responsive-wordpress-theme.zip”
    – Within the files that were included in that .zip, unzipped the “alyeska-3.0.2.zip” which contains a folder named “alyeska”
    – Used FileZilla to connect to my WP site
    – Renamed /wp-content/themes/alyeska TO /wp-content/themes/alyeska-3.0.1
    – FTP’d the new (v3.0.2) “alyeska” folder TO /wp-content/themes/alyeska
    – Within Appearance > Themes, activated Alyeska v3.0.2
    – Within Plugins, updated “Theme Blvd Sliders” to 1.1.2 (all other Theme Blvd plugins showed to still be current from the steps I followed during the Alyeska v2.1.5 to v3.0.1 update)

I found that I had to go back into Appearance > Background and re-select the “splatter-light.png” from my media library , click [Set as background], and then select the Position: Center, Repeat: No Repeat, Attachment: Scroll, Background Color: #ffffff, and click [Save Changes]. These actions made the background display properly again.

I had to go into Appearance > Menu and follow the steps outlined in my previous post to get the menu to display properly again.

These actions corrected the background and menu in Chrome and IE; however, the original IE issues are still present.

–Kevin.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

– Logo in header not displaying

Go to Appearance > Theme Options > Layout > Header > Logo, and I think you’ll see that the width of your logo is blank. Put in the width of your logo image which is 288. This should fix the IE issue.

– Portfolio items not displaying properly in the grid (items are left aligned, chopped off, and most images do not display)

This looks like an issue with post grids in IE8 with the theme, but okay in IE9+. I will definitely look into this.

– Renamed /wp-content/themes/alyeska TO /wp-content/themes/alyeska-3.0.1
    – FTP’d the new (v3.0.2) “alyeska” folder TO /wp-content/themes/alyeska
    – Within Appearance > Themes, activated Alyeska v3.0.2

If you’re doing this process correctly, you shouldn’t need to do anything under Appearance > Themes. Your child theme stays the currently active theme, and you’re simply updating the files on your server.

I notice on your site you’re not using a child theme currently. So, It sounds like maybe your child theme was the active theme, and then you’re switching to the Alyeska parent theme you just uploaded. So, to WordPress you’re effectively “switching” themes.

If you’re having to activate and de-activate different themes, that’s where you’re losing your menu assignment and background. This is just what WordPress does when you “switch” themes, however just updating the theme files on your server shouldn’t involve WordPress switching themes. — Does that make sense?

Also, I’m not sure if you caught this, but starting with Alyeska 3+, there’s an updater built into the theme that connects to Envato. It will automatically tell you when there’s an update posted to ThemeForest and then you can update it through your WP Admin. You can setup your options to make a backups of the previous version when doing this.

Here’s how to set this up:

http://support.themeblvd.com/docs/theme-updates/#themeforest — (see “automatic updates”)

kevinp
    Participant

Jason,

Thank you, yet again, for your great support! The information you provided in your last response, along with re-watching a couple of your support video, turned the light bulb on for me.

Setting the image width to 288 in Appearance > Theme Options > Layout > Header > Logo, corrected the logo display issue in IE.

You were absolutely correct about the issue with my theme update process. I apparently had it in my head that after uploading a new parent theme (e.g. Alyeska v3.0.2), I would need to activate it. The light bulb came on after remembering that the child theme points to the parent theme as its template. When I rename the old parent theme (e.g. “alyeska” renamed to “alyeska-v3.0.1”), I am essentially removing the template the child is pointing to. When I upload the new version (e.g. v3.0.2) of the parent theme using the same name as was previously used (e.g. “alyeska”), I have replaced the old template with a new version of the template and the still active Alyeska child theme now takes advantage of the updates in the new version of Alyeska parent theme.

I followed the instructions to set up automatic updates and will use that method on the next theme update.

At this time, the only remaining issue is the IE8 post grid display issue that you noted you would be looking into. Let me know when you have resolution to that one.

Thanks again.

–Kevin.

pyleitonthere
    Participant

Just as a note I was also having the header logo image display problem in IE, and putting the width of the image in that field in theme options fixed it for me as well.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Just as a note I was also having the header logo image display problem in IE, and putting the width of the image in that field in theme options fixed it for me as well.

Yeah, I noticed this has been a stumbling block for a few people that are making the update because the field didn’t exist before and so will initially be blank when you update. However, for people starting fresh with v3+, when you insert the logo image, that width gets placed in there automatically.

At this time, the only remaining issue is the IE8 post grid display issue that you noted you would be looking into. Let me know when you have resolution to that one.

This is here on my Monday to-do list. I’ll try to figure out what’s going on with that today. Tackling these IE8-only issues is often quite time consuming.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Ok, so I figured out the issue with the Post Grids in IE8. Here’s how you can fix it yourself if you want a quick solution. In content-grid.php of the theme, on line 17 and line 22 you will see a closing </span> which should be changed to a closing </div> in both places.

kevinp
    Participant

Jason,

I made the content-grid.php edit you described. Our post-grid portfolio is now displaying properly in IE8.

Thanks!

–Kevin.

Danny
    Participant

Ok, so I figured out the issue with the Post Grids in IE8. Here’s how you can fix it yourself if you want a quick solution. In content-grid.php of the theme, on line 17 and line 22 you will see a closing which should be changed to a closing in both places.

Hey glad I found this I had this very same issue ..I did not even know..(i’m not checking ie 8 as much as I should 🙁 )
    Ty big TY! .. I did a search here found my answer .. 🙂

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.