This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

SSL white screen caused by ThemeBlvd widget areas plugin?

• Creator
    Topic
    Mary Makowsky
    Participant

Hi Jason,

My client is hosting with SiteGround and is getting a white screen on pages that are password protected and using ssl. Siteground support says it is the widgets plugin. Here is there actual text:

https://wma.edu/bot/

...there is white screen on the page. I have checked the php_error log and found hte following error:

Code:
    [27-Oct-2015 18:23:42 UTC] PHP Warning: Missing argument 2 for get_term(), called in /home/wma41861/public_html/wp-content/plugins/theme-blvd-widget-areas/includes/general.php(344) : eval()'d code on line 1 and defined in /home/wma41861/public_html/wp-includes/taxonomy.php on line 1349

The issue can be caused by the theme-blvd-widget-areas plugin. You should try to disable it and check the case after.

We have temporarily disabled the password protection on all pages but I’m not sure what to do from here. I’m afraid to disable the widget areas plugin to test. Will that do anything to what we’ve already created? Any other suggestions or insight?

Thank you!

Mary

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hi Mary,

I can definitely look into the warning in the Widget Areas plugin; however I would doubt that a PHP warning would result in a fatal error (i.e. your white screen).

But by all means, see if the widget areas plugin is doing it. Simply disable it and see if the same thing happens. You shouldn’t lose anything by disabling it. Once you enable the plugin again, all of your widget areas should still be there and be setup how they were previously.

With that said, I would suggest that while the theme Theme Blvd Widget Areas plugin is disabled, I would stay away from doing anything at Appearance > Widgets in your WordPress admin just to be safe.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Aw, what I can tell you though is that the PHP warning your webhost is siting isn’t actually from anything in the widget areas plugin; it appears to be from something you’ve done in one of your widget areas assignment. The warning is referring to a line of PHP you would have implemented into a custom assignment of one of the widget areas at Appearance > Widget Areas.

Mary Makowsky
    Participant

Dammit! Sorry – should have read further into the warning. I deactivated the plugin and of course, the white screen is still there. Thanks again for your help. Sorry to bother you!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Have you tried turning on WP_DEBUG temporarily to see what could be causing the issue?

https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

When you see a white screen, this suggests a fatal error has happened that has halted the PHP execution of the HTML page. However, many hosts have PHP setup in a way where these error messages do not print on the screen.

When you enable WP_DEBUG from your WordPress wp-config.php, it overrides your server setting for this and prints out all warnings and errors onto the screen. So, the hope is that by doing this, you can get an error message to print onto your white screen, to ideally give a hint to what the issue actually is.

Mary Makowsky
    Participant

I think it has to do with the HTTPS (SSL) plugin and the password protection. The password form isn’t calling the action using https. I’m going to try using a custom form…

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.