This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Sliders within columns?

• Creator
    Topic
    peterfitzie
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m building a new home page, it will have the main slider in the “featured above” area.
    I’m dividing the primary area in to two columns, 30% / 70% and pulling in content from external pages to both.

The only thing is, it won’t seem to allow me pull in another page that has a slider on it.
    Is it possible to do this?

Specifically, what I want to do is have a video clip occupying the 70% column, but as I understand it, you have to first embed any video within a slider, that’s fine, only as stated, it seems I can’t pull in the external page with that video slider on it to fill my second column.

Is there any way of doing this? Would appreciate any advice.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hi,

When you say your other page has a slider on it, do you mean that it has a custom layout with a slider element? — If so, this isn’t how the feature works of pulling another page. When you select to pull content from external page, you’re just pulling the content of that page. This doesn’t include the page’s template, settings, etc.

For what you’re trying to do, you’d just utilize the [slider] shortcode. So, for that column in your layout, you’d select “Raw Content” and in the content box, you could do something like this:

[slider id="my-slider"]

More Info: http://shortcodes.themeblvd.com/generator/shortcodes-sliders/

Does that all make sense?

peterfitzie
    Participant

Sorry, I did actually try the short code first, but it didn’t seem to work for some reason – anyway that is working fine for me now.

I am using vimeo to host the clips, is there any way to remove the black borders that appear above and below the video?

peterfitzie
    Participant

… and sorry, one more thing – is it possible to loose the thin grey border that appears around the video when you use a short code?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

This is all done with CSS, which you can customize from your own CSS customizations. The videos are styled to be a responsive 16:9 ratio. You can start messing the padding of the video container from your own styles, but it can get tricky and a bit “mathy”. And then for the border, you’d just remove the border around the container from your custom CSS.

=========

For CSS changes, it’s a good idea to use a tool like firebug or Google Chrome’s built-in developer tools to locate them and then put the edits either in your child theme‘s style.css or in the “Custom CSS” option on your theme options page.

peterfitzie
    Participant

Thanks for your replies Jason – I ended up using an iframe and embed code to achieve what i was looking for, i’ve manually entered the widths and heights – it seems to display fine on PC/Mobile/Tablets, any potential problems with iframes?

Your themes are excellent.

Here’s the link.

http://www.theiveaghtrust.ie/?page_id=2668

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Yeah, so the problem with this is that your site is no longer responsive — meaning it doesn’t shrink down to mobile devices properly.

peterfitzie
    Participant

I tend to have the “Allow website to show normally on tablets on mobile devices” option ticked – it seems to distill down fine on to a mobile screen / iPad etc at the moment.

Do you mean if I have it set to “apply special styles to tablets and mobile devices”, then it won’t shrink down properly if I go with the iframe?

Generally, given the size of mobile screens these days, I don’t see the need to use the special styles etc to display the content on mobile formats. (I tend to hate it myself when other websites do that, hard to find what your looking for when your used to the full format and it often feels like your not getting full content (even though you are!)).

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Do you mean if I have it set to “apply special styles to tablets and mobile devices”, then it won’t shrink down properly if I go with the iframe?

Yes, this is what I mean. So, if you’ve got the option off, then you’re probably okay there.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Barely Corporate Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.