This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Slider image sizes

• Creator
    Topic
    whitney0409
    Participant

I’m pretty new to site building, and I’m having trouble formatting images in the slider so they all display the same size. Is there a certain way the images need to be saved prior to being loaded in my media library in order for them to display uniformly?

I’m having the same issue for images inserted in the right sidebar as a text widget (that’s the only way I’ve found to insert the images in the location I want; although there may be an easier way). I’ve customized a sidebar widget for each of 6 pages but the images are all displaying as different sizes. What size do I need to save them as in order to display as a 2″x2″ image?

Thanks!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

When we’re working with images on a computer screen, they cannot be measured in inches, which are only relevant in printed material. On a computer screen, images are measured in pixels.

For example, if you were setting up an image to be printed in Photoshop, it would allow you to setup dimensions in inches for the printed product, however this is displayed on your computer screen based on a translation of DPI — Dots (pixels) per inch — that you set in your image’s setting. This doesn’t exist when you’re talking about a website displayed in your web browser.

So, start thinking in terms of pixels and not inches, and beginning to get a feel of how large different dimensions of pixels are when you’re looking at website in your browser.

Is there a certain way the images need to be saved prior to being loaded in my media library in order for them to display uniformly?

The default image sizes for full width slider images is 940px × 350px. In WordPress, when you upload an image, in order for it to make the proper crop, your image needs to be at least as wide and tall as this set of dimensions.

http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/crop-sizes/

So when you’re uploading images for the slider, make sure they are at a minimum 940 pixels wide and a minimum 350 pixels tall. If they aren’t they won’t get cropped, and thus the image as you uploaded it will get thrown into the display of the slider, with the result being that all images are not uniform.

I’ve customized a sidebar widget for each of 6 pages but the images are all displaying as different sizes. What size do I need to save them as in order to display as a 2″x2″ image?

If you’re using a standard “Sidebar Right” layout with the theme, you’ve got a sidebar that is about 280px wide. So, your image would be 280×280, or larger (if it’s larger, it will scaled to fit when displayed in your site).

whitney0409
    Participant

Thank you! This was very helpful. You’re a great teacher! I will probably have more questions in the future!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.