This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Quicktime Plugin Issues

• Creator
    Topic
    tunethetemple
    Participant

Jason, I have a course loaded with QuickTime videos running on my site (for 5 years) with Barely Corporate theme. Suddenly, I am having trouble with the videos.

We can get the videos to run on Firefox with the click of a notice (activate plugin) which did not use to be required, but the videos will not work at all on Chrome or Safari. I didn’t do any updates in the past 2 weeks and the videos were working last week.

On chrome we get these notices (normally the video just shows up): This content requires the QuickTime Plugin. Download QuickTime Player. … Already have QuickTime Player? Click here… If I go ahead and “click here”, it then shows a screen with “this plugin is not supported.”

I use Viper’s Video Quicktags to enable embedding QuickTime videos on my site. There is no update available for that, I just checked.

I do see an updates are available for Theme Boulevard Builder and Shortcodes, but before we change anything on the site, or do these updates, I was wondering if you have any ideas what is going on? Or what to try next?

thank you
    Cathy

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hi Cathy,

I apologize, but in all honesty I don’t have any idea about your Quicktime plugin, as I don’t think any of this has to do with the theme.

Have you considered putting your videos on a hosting service like Vimeo or YouTube? This will make your life so much easier, and you could possibly gain some reach in the process of putting your videos out there.

Alternatively, are you aware that WordPress now supports embedding self-hosted HTML5 video (as of about a year ago)? This may be something to do a little research on, to get yourself a little up-to-date with more modern ways to display your videos.

You may also want to try contacting the author of the plugin you’re using.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Jason Bobich.
    tunethetemple
    Participant

thanks Jason. I thought I should check about the theme first. I will contact the author of the plugin next. Thanks for your alternate ideas. I have a lot of videos up there and hopefully I won’t have to change them!

Cathy

tunethetemple
    Participant

oh WOW Jason! thank you for the HTML5 info and suggestion.

It turns out the my issue was actually on Chrome – as QuickTime Player plugin is no longer supported on Chrome.

but because of wordpress and HTML5 – I see indeed that I can copy my video link from the Viper plugin, click “insert video” and paste, update my page and my videos work again – and even on Chrome!

you are a life saver!!!!

Cathy

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Barely Corporate Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.