This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Problems with IE 8 on Windows XP

• Creator
    Topic
    tompickle
    Participant

Hey Jason,
    I know IE8 is dinosaur now, and I hate it just as much as every other web guy out there, but I’m having some issues with it on Windows XP. I’ve tested on four computers in my office, two with IE8 on Windows XP and two with IE8 on Windows 7. The Windows XP computers aren’t able to load my site very well at all and it looks quite broken, while the Windows 7 computers display it just fine. Any ideas on how I could fix this? The site is http://www.casagrandeaz.us

Thanks for your time,

Tom

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Tom,

I’m not sure on that one, but in general, IE8 will look the same no matter what version of Windows you’re on, as it’s still always the same application. The only variations would be either your IE8 settings (maybe compatibility mode on) or possibly system controlled things like font rendering.

Your site is looking good in IE8 on my end:

tompickle
    Participant

That is so strange… I’ll check their computers again and see if I can figure anything out.

On a related note, what software do you use to check sites in different brower/OS combos? I see you use IE Tester is there any other software you use? Just curious.

Thanks!

Tom

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I personally always use IE Tester. I have this running on a computer with Windows 7, another with Windows 8, and on my Virtual machine (Parallels Desktop app) on my Mac.

In the past I’ve had people say occasionally, kind of like you were, that there’s something special about a version of IE in specifically Windows XP (or just a different Windows version), and so I used to check a lot with Adobe Browser Lab (where it sends back a screenshot from a remote server with browser and OS you specify), and never once was able to get a different result than what I’d see in IE Tester on whatever latest version of Windows I was using at the time. — Another reason why I trust IE Tester.

If you’re using IE10+, if you go into the Developer Tools, they have a way for you select it to “simulate” whatever version of IE you want. But in a lot of testing, I’ve found this is sometimes not accurate. There have been several times where I’ve found some small issue with IE8, but IE10/IE11’s simulator of IE8 does not show it.

tompickle
    Participant

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the info. I tried it out in IE Tester on my machine and things look great just like they did for you.

However, using SauceLabs (saucelabs.com) to test in IE7 on Windows XP, I am able to reproduce the errors showing up on my coworkers computers. I’ve attached screenshots below. Any ideas?

http://casagrandeaz.gov/projects/images/test1.jpg
    http://casagrandeaz.gov/projects/images/test2.jpg

Thanks,

Tom

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Unfortunately the theme just isn’t compatible with IE7. We only support IE8+ with all of our themes.

tompickle
    Participant

OK no worries Jason, thanks for your assistance 🙂

Thanks,

Tom

Danny
    Participant

Hey sorry for jumping in here.. I too have many people on ie 8 and winxp..I test a lot..
    Thing is I want to say you did a good job.. I like to see how people style and convert this theme..
    Thanks
    Dan

tompickle
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words Dan, I’m glad you like it!

Jason, I figured out what the problem was! They had compatibility mode turned on! Freaking IE. Thanks for your help looking into this with me 🙂

Thanks,

Tom

Danny
    Participant

yeah its really nice.. Its a city gov web site concept obviously but see its cool..I have never seen a WP theme applied like that.. Its good inspiration ..I dont do web design but if I did.. I would say hey I can see doing a small gov web site..
    🙂

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.