This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Post Grid Pagination

• Creator
    Topic
    Alan Cohen
    Participant

Jason:

I am having no luck trying to get the pagination to appear at the bottom of the post grid that I set up with the short code on my “blog” page. I noticed from searching the Forum that there was a bug with pagination on the post grids a year ago, but I have the latest version of Jump Start.

My home page has not been developed yet, and it will probably be a custom layout. So, I want to use the blog page to display my posts.

Another problem that I am having, is that while the breadcrumbs of the blog page post grid appear as home / blog, when I click on any one of the posts, the breadcrumbs then appear as home / category x / post title, so there is no way to get back to the blog page post grid without clicking the link on the main navigation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

I am having no luck trying to get the pagination to appear at the bottom of the post grid that I set up with the short code on my “blog” page

The [post_grid] shortcode does not display pagination. The reason is because for pagination to work properly there can only be one primary query on the page, and the [post_grid] shortcode is an item that the user can use as many times as they want on the page.

There are various forms of a post grid. See here:

http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/the-concept-of-post-lists-and-post-grids/

Another problem that I am having, is that while the breadcrumbs of the blog page post grid appear as home / blog, when I click on any one of the posts, the breadcrumbs then appear as home / category x / post title, so there is no way to get back to the blog page post grid without clicking the link on the main navigation.

This is the best I have for a solution to this issue:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/theme-blvd-post-to-page-link/

The plugin should still be all functional, as far as I know. Let me know if it isn’t.

Alan Cohen
    Participant

Jason:

Thanks for your help on this, I installed the post-to-page-link plugin, and that solved the breadcrumb navigation issue. Now all of my posts are linked to my blog.

After playing around with the short code options, and page templates, I found that you can still get a post grid with pagination, but depending upon how many columns and rows you select, the user would have to scroll way down the page to use the see and use the pagination (with two columns selected, it displayed 12 rows).

One other multi part question re setting up the blog…how can I control the number of words shown in the excerpts, how can I control the page template (i.e. sidebar right) for the category and tags and/or search results pages?

If I haven’t mentioned it already, I love the theme and your support is great.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

After playing around with the short code options, and page templates, I found that you can still get a post grid with pagination, but depending upon how many columns and rows you select, the user would have to scroll way down the page to use the see and use the pagination (with two columns selected, it displayed 12 rows).

I’m not quite sure I’m following what you’re describing. Are you sure you’re not mixing up the [post_grid] shortcode and the post grid page template? These are two separate things.

It is impossible for the [post_grid] shortcode to invoke any kind of pagination. When you’re using the post grid page template, you do not use the shortcode at all. Does that make sense?

And with both methods, you can set both columns and rows.

One other multi part question re setting up the blog…how can I control the number of words shown in the excerpts, how can I control the page template (i.e. sidebar right) for the category and tags and/or search results pages?

WordPress gives you a box to manually edit the excerpt when editing each post. It’s just hidden by default. When editing a post, go to Screen Options tab in the top right corner of the screen, and you can select to show the “Excerpt” meta box. If this is left empty, then WordPress takes the first 55 words of the post. This isn’t anything the theme sets up.

Alan Cohen
    Participant

I am following you on all of this, but what I did was insert the short code for a post grid on a page and set the template to post grid, and that was how I got the pagination, way down at the bottom.

I know I threw a lot of questions in there, and you answered most of them, but how about the last one from above…how can I control the page template (i.e. sidebar right) for the category and tags archives and/or search results pages?

Thanks again!!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

…but what I did was insert the short code for a post grid on a page and set the template to post grid, and that was how I got the pagination, way down at the bottom.

No see you’re not getting it i don’t think if you’re doing this. If you select the post grid page template, you do NOT use the post grid shortcode at all. You would leave the content of the page blank. Now anything you do put in the content of the page will show above the post grid the page template is inserting.

What you are doing here by using the shortcode and template is essentially stuffing two post grids in the same page, which is why you’re getting weird results.

how can I control the page template (i.e. sidebar right) for the category and tags archives and/or search results pages?

This is called your sidebar layout and is controlled site wide from Appearance > Theme Options > Layout > Main. This cannot be individually set for archives and search results. These all take the side wide setting.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.