This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Post Grid 3

• Creator
    Topic
    wcrafter
    Participant

I recently purchased the akita theme and had an SEO company that was putting it onto WordPress for me. I purchased this template because I liked the design and mostly because of the portfolio. However, my SEO company told me that the plugin for the way you navigate the photos is no longer supported. I don’t understand why you would be using the same setup on the majority of your templates if that were true. Is there a plugin that you discontinued?

My website is here if you would like to see how they did it:
    http://www.wood-crafters.com

I would like it to work like you have it.

Thanks,
    Scott

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Scott,

I apologize, but I’m not quite understanding the issue. Maybe you could provide some more details of what you’re referring to?

However, my SEO company told me that the plugin for the way you navigate the photos is no longer supported.

What plugin are we talking about? And what photos are we talking about navigating?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

And just a heads up. I’m looking at your site, and it looks like you’re starting to make some customizations to the template directly without properly using a child theme. If you head down this road, you’re going to have trouble ever updating the theme in the future. Also, you’re currently using version 1 of Akita; we released 2.0 back in the summer.

Remember to always make code customization to the template responsibly and always use a child theme. Here’s an introductory video to how a child theme works:

https://vimeo.com/70832266

And here is a resource we’ve created specifically for our themes and developers making customizations:

http://dev.themeblvd.com

wcrafter
    Participant

I have been Using a Company called Serverside Design to make my website with your Template. I think that they have taken some creative license and I am just not sure I understand what is going on between your template and the WordPress account. We chose your template because of the sliders at the top and alot of the functionality of the pages. I also liked the scrolling news feed on the front page and quite a few other features.

Wordpress is telling me that I need to upgrade to 3.8.1. Can you look at my site and let me know if there are going to be compatable with what we have? You said that I downloaded the version 1 of Akita. I purchased the one you have online in December so I should have the current model, I would think. We just want to know that when we upgrade now and in the future that we will not have any issues.

Here is the location of our website:
    http://www.wood-crafters.com/

wcrafter
    Participant
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Wordpress is telling me that I need to upgrade to 3.8.1. Can you look at my site and let me know if there are going to be compatable with what we have?

You should be able to update to WordPress 3.8, however on the admin side of our theme, things are not going to look great, as WordPress has re-designed their admin. We have version 2.1 coming soon, which blends everything better into the admin side of things for WordPress 3.8.

With that said, I haven’t tested your version with WordPress 3.8, and so I can’t promise everything will go flawlessly. I’m only guessing based on what I know about the update.

I have been Using a Company called Serverside Design to make my website with your Template. I think that they have taken some creative license and I am just not sure I understand what is going on between your template and the WordPress account.

So, here’s sort of the problem I’m seeing. — It appears whoever is customizing your template is making code customizations directly to the template, itself, opposed to properly making edits from a child theme (watch the video so you understand the concept). This is okay for now, and allows them to turn around a website for you. However, the problem is that you’re left with a template that you’re going to have a lot of trouble updating in the future.

I’m not sure how you’re ongoing to relationship with this company is going to go, but as WordPress continues to be updated, it’s going to be important that you keep up with maintaining the theme, as well. So, the fact that they’re making customizations directly to the template is going to make this very difficult, moving forward.

You said that I downloaded the version 1 of Akita. I purchased the one you have online in December so I should have the current model, I would think.

You are currently using v1.1.3 (released June 2, 2012), and we are currently on v2.0.3, with v2.1 coming very soon. So, you’re already falling quite behind with this. The idea of having a child theme is so you can simply always update the parent theme while all of your code customizations in the child theme remain intact. Moving forward, if you’re not keeping the theme up to date, as you update WordPress, you’re inevitably going to run into a problem.

This is the one we got:
    http://themeforest.net/item/akita-responsive-wordpress-theme/1530025

Yup, this is the Akita theme, but this product is always being updated. You can always access the current version by logging into your ThemeForest account that you purchased it with, going to My Account > Downloads, and downloading the current version ThemeForest has.

Within your WordPress admin, you can see your current version of the theme by going to Appearance > Themes and looking at the theme details for the Akita theme.

Additionally, you can go to Appearance > Theme Options, and look to the footer of the options page. Here, you will see your current theme version along with a link to a live changelog of the theme.

wcrafter
    Participant

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your responses about a year ago. I still believe the Akita template to be one of your best. I also wanted to follow up with you on some of what you are talking about.

I am no longer doing business with the SEO company that was customizing your template and now have gone in to wordpress to see how I might be able to fix the situation. Here is what I have encountered, I have looked at the Child Theme and it seams to have taken on the look of the Template. That being said if I save an activate it as a child and then update the Template, will I lose everything? Is there a possibility that I might have to print all my pages so that I have all the text for the website. I am trying to figure out how to change everything from my Template to the Child Theme. This way updates will be a possibility.

I am still on version 1.1.3 and want to get it to the current version.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hi again!

That being said if I save an activate it as a child and then update the Template, will I lose everything?

No way, you won’t lose your content. It’s an easy transition. Now, with that said, there are 2 (or sometimes 3) seemingly big things that trip people up when they first click the activate button on the child theme and view their site.

So, when you activate the child theme, here are solutions to the three issues I see people run into:

http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/switching-to-a-child-theme-after-youve-already-started-building-your-website/

Is there a possibility that I might have to print all my pages so that I have all the text for the website.

All of your pages and posts are saved to your WordPress installation. This doesn’t have anything to do with the theme you’re using. You can switch around themes all day, and these things will not go anywhere.

If you’re looking to make a “backup” to put your mind at ease — Go to Tools > Export in your WordPress admin panel, and you can generate an XML export of your site’s content. Then if you were switching to a new site or found yourself with a blank site, you could import all this again at Tools > Import.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

When you actually make the update, make sure to have a look at this article:

http://support.themeblvd.com/updating-to-framework-v2-3/

wcrafter
    Participant

I downloaded the new file. I tried installing the file as a new template, but it says that the directory already exists and that the download failed. There is no update button that I can find, and I cannot figure out how to remove the theme so that I can upload it as a new template. I think it is because I am on Akita 1.1.3 and WordPress is on 4.1.

I tried hovering over the image, looking for the directory

What am I doing wrong or is there an easier way?

wcrafter
    Participant

I deleted the orginal theme finally and reloaded the new. I have to fix a few things but Hopefully I will get this right. I will check back if I need to.

wcrafter
    Participant

I have the website converted to a Child Theme now and have been trying to fix some of the bugs. One area, I haven’t been able to figure out is in the header. On the right side of the website I have it set up basically like I want it with link and everything, but when you get on a mobile site the BBB logo is offset. Here is what I did:

In the Header Text Box on Theme Options “Layout” I put this HTML:
    713-433-6026

I am sure that this is not the best way, but is the only way that I could figure out. I also didn’t know how I could add a houzz.com button to it. Not real concerned about the houzz button if I cannot, but the BBB Logo is really important.

I am using the IVY Testimonial plugin, and the text is bigger than I want it. Is there a way to modify that?

I have the ThemeBLVD Scroller plugin and would like the Picture to link or make the title bold enough that it is noticeable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Should I keep your copyright info at the bottom?

Thanks,
    Scott

wcrafter
    Participant

The HTML
    713-433-6026

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.