This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Tagged: , ,

Pipe character in tab URL

  • Creator
    Topic
  • #18700
    bartwindrum
    Participant

    Hi Jason,

    I’ll be pointing visitors at a landing page to a tab on my site. The tab is named “Schedule | Signup”. I used the pipe character instead of “&” or “/” for looks (I didn’t use “and” due to space limitation). Including the pipe character in the url in buttons pointing to the tab resulted in a page not found error. By trial and error I discovered that omitting the pipe character from the url worked.

    The actual string is (or would seem to want to be):
    http://AxiomAction.com/programs/#tab_schedule_|_signup

    The string that works omits the pipe:
    http://AxiomAction.com/programs/#tab_schedule__signup

    Although I suspect this is an html thing and not an Akita thing, it’s surprising that omitting a character used to identify a page element both is necessary and allows the click to display the page! So I pose the question of why, with a side question of “will this work in perpetuity?” because it’d be really bad if this were to break — I’d lose webinar signups…

    (note: I have noticed that certain characters, like “&” in a url get translated to a string, and I’d expected the pipe character to do likewise — which it may have (I no longer recall) but nonetheless resulted in the 404 error)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #18702
    bartwindrum
    Participant

    Sorry for the 2nd post but actually I experienced, as I futzed around with things, a mixture of 404 errors and the intended page being displayed but showing tab#1 instead of the intended tab (which is #6)…

    #18706
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

    It’s not semantically correct to have this character within HTML markup (i.e. we’re using it for the ID here in each tab), and it shouldn’t be included in a URL.

    See “Unsafe Characters” —

    http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/topics/urlencoding.htm

    This is why I strip these characters out with PHP’s url_encode function when I create the ID.

    You just need to link to http://axiomaction.com/programs/#tab_schedule__signup. I’m not quite sure the issue in this, or why you’d lose any signups.

    #18707
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

    And if you’re curious to search around Google for more about the character, I believe it’s often referred to as “vertical bar”.

    #18709
    bartwindrum
    Participant

    Thanks. I just stumbled across pulling the pipe from the url and it worked. Just wanted reassurance it’d continue working (a silly sounding question to pose, but one never knows…). I’d lose signups only if the url failed to work in the future for some reason. I guess if it works once, it’ll always work.

    #18710
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

    Yeah, it’ll work fine. The ID you use in your URL string is just what you see in the HTML on the page.

    #18712
    bartwindrum
    Participant

    Ah; since I don’t do this sort of site development regularly I forget about sniffing around with diagnostic tools. Argh!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.