This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Order of page gridview page images

• Creator
    Topic
    dklahre
    Participant

I know this question has to have been answered before, but I need to insert a valid point here. On my gridview page I need to manually order the post images. Looking on my page control panel I see that I can do this with a custom query. I have a lot of posts with the tags “passive-income” because I think this is good for the search engines. But for me to use a custom query, I have to knit together the order of the posts that have different tags.

So first, am I correct about the SEO advantage of tagging all of the posts the same? And if so, is there another command that I can use with custom query like “category” or something else? The solution has to allow me to show Google that all of the posts are “passive income” pages.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Can you tell me specifically how you’ve setup a post grid? Are you using the post grid page template, post grid shortcode, or post grid element of a layout in the layout builder?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

And I’m not quite sure I’m following what you’re trying to accomplish. Are you saying you want one large post grid that contains posts from multiple tags, but you want them to appear grouped by tag?

dklahre
    Participant

In the custom layout section of my page panel I edited the element called “Post Grid Paginated”. Currently I have 7 posts and I have given all the tag name “passive-income” for SEO purposes. Using custom query (tag=passive-income) all the posts show up in the page but I can’t control the order.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Sure you can control the order. Is there a specific way you want to order them? Like by name? Or how are you wanting to order them? And can you tell me what version of the theme and layout builder plugin you’re using?

dklahre
    Participant

I would like to order them like:

tree post, zebra post, apple post

each individually by name in a query string.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

You can’t “order” them by a taxonomy (i.e. Tag, Category). This is just a rule of a WordPress query in general.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Class_Reference/WP_Query#Order_.26_Orderby_Parameters

What you’re describing would be separate queries of separate post grids. You’d have to just add 3 post grids on this page queried like:

tag=tree&order=ACS&orderby=title
    tag=zebra&order=ACS&orderby=title
    tag=apple&order=ACS&orderby=title

But by doing this the results will not be paginated.

Note: I was asking about your versions because if you are up to date, you shouldn’t need to be using a custom query for this. In the post grid’s options you can just select to pull the posts by tag, enter the tag, and then choose from the order/order by options.

dklahre
    Participant

I have

3.0.3 with Theme Blvd Framework 2.3.0

Last week I put in the same Envato user name and API key for the parent and child for auto updates but nothing has happened. Funny that after saving this info into the fields, the fields become blanc and stay blanc. Did I do something wrong?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Yeah there’s a bug specifically with 3.0.3 only where this happens. Just make the update manually this time and you won’t have to worry about they again.

dklahre
    Participant

I’ve gone through your video on updating and it says that it won’t work for a child theme. What are the steps to overcome this bug?

dklahre
    Participant

If I upgrade manually, am I going to lose the work that I’ve invested in the last week and half?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

You’re talking about this video? https://vimeo.com/41533135

You could —

Option 1: Do as the second half of the video shows and update the theme through FTP.

Option 2: Or, if you do want to follow the basic idea of the first half of the video, you’d need to first de-activate your child theme. For example, you could temporarily activate one of the default WP themes. Then, delete the parent Alyeska theme, re-upload it, and then re-activate your child theme.

If I upgrade manually, am I going to lose the work that I’ve invested in the last week and half?

Nope. You’re just updating theme files. Assuming you’ve haven’t made edits to files of the theme, you won’t lose anything.

dklahre
    Participant

I updated the parent (3.1.3) while keeping the child. Things are working. On my page gridview of all of the posts, there’s even a description that shows below the each image. This didn’t show before. The problem is now, the text wrapping around the pictures is off.

http://venturecoffeetalk.com/?p=35
    http://venturecoffeetalk.com/?p=249

As you can see, in portrait pics there is a half inch space between the bottom of the images and the text. With landscape pics the problem is pronounced too.

http://venturecoffeetalk.com/?p=198

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Feel free to make any CSS customizations for things you want to tweak to your liking.

For CSS changes, it’s a good idea to use a tool like firebug or Google Chrome’s built-in developer tools to locate them and then put the edits either in your child theme‘s style.css or in the “Custom CSS” option on your theme options page.

.featured-image .thumbnail {
    	margin-bottom: 0;
    }
Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.