This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Menu broken after page added

• Creator
    Topic
    moriah@esd

Hi,
    Is there a limit to the number of menu items allowed? I didn’t think I had too many, but when I added a page today to the dropdown menu of my primary navigation, the whole thing broke and now my menu is crazy. Is there a limit to the number of menu dropdowns (say past 17?) I have no idea how to fix this other than restoring from backup.
    http://kalamaschools.org/

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

The only limit what you can visually fit across the bar, which would depend on how long the text in each menu item is and your CSS style customizations on the menu items.

But in your case, I think you may have done something to make it so your custom menu isn’t actually applied. What you’re seeing is not your custom menu. It is the theme’s default action of displaying a “Home” button followed by listing all pages of your site; this happens when you don’t have any menu assigned to the “Primary Navigation” location. Menus are stored to their locations based on the current theme. So, for example if you changed the name of the theme or just switched to a child theme, this would be the logical result.

So, just go to Appearance > Menus, and assign your custom menu to the “Primary Navigation” theme location.

moriah@esd

Oh wow, you are a lifesaver! I didn’t even notice I unchecked that box, thank you thank you thank you!!!

moriah@esd

Hi Jason,
    I’m still having trouble when I add only one more link to my primary/top navigation. It keeps breaking by unchecking the “Primary menu” box at the bottom, which I did not click. I am only able to fix it if I remove the extra page I added to the menu. Is there a limit to the number of links one can have in the primary navigation?
    http://kalamaschools.org/

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

The actual functionality you’re describing is all stuff that WordPress handles. The theme simply registers a location, which WordPress them makes available to you. Everything you’re doing in your WP admin under Appearance > Menus is controlled by WordPress, nothing to do with the theme you’re using.

If I had to guess, I would say your issue revolves around something you’re doing with WP-Super-Cache plugin. You’re most likely running into some kind of caching issue with the assignment of the menu. Just a guess, though.

Is there a limit to the number of links one can have in the primary navigation?

Is there a limit in what the theme may display in a nice looking fashion on the frontend of your site? Sure.

Is the theme putting some kind of limit on how many items you can add under Appearance > Menus? No, this is not possible.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.