This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

MapPress + Jump Start

• Creator
    Topic
    Wendell Harness
    Participant

I have been using MapPress Pro for years now and it’s been chugging along just fine without any issues, until I upgraded my site to WPJS 2.0 (still on WP 4.2 at the time). At least that’s when I think the problem started. I hadn’t tried to create a map in a post for quite a long time, but I know it was working during the WPJS 2.0 RC releases. I believe sometime since the last RC and 2.0.0 is when the problem started.

When editing or creating a post, in the MapPress meta box, there is a place to create a new map, then search for a POI (Point of Interest). I enter the address into the search box, then click the magnifying glass icon, like always, and it reloads the entire edit page without saving the map. Normally, it would show the location on the map, with options to customize it. Then you can save the map and publish the post. All other post edit functions work as expected and switching to Twenty Thirteen theme fixes the issue.

So just to make sure I had resolved anything on my end before posting here, I upgraded WP to 4.3 and MapPress from 2.43.3 to 2.43.4 (which was recently released). Neither of these upgrades fixed the problem.

Then I went searching for error logs and looked at the console on the post edit page (where the problem is). Couldn’t find a darn thing. I checked the root folder, wp-content, wp-admin, plugins, MapPress and JumpStart folders, but there are no error logs. I checked cPanel, but there are no [related] errors there either.

I’m not sure whether or not it’s a MapPress or Jump Start issue, but since all was well until upgrading to WPJS 2.0, that is my first suspect. I will also request help from MapPress to see if Chris can find anything on his end.

Thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Sorry Wendell, but I’m just not really sure what to tell you. It’s just really impossible to provide support for all the third-party plugins out there, which why I have to say this in the site’s support terms.

Then I went searching for error logs and looked at the console on the post edit page (where the problem is). Couldn’t find a darn thing. I checked the root folder, wp-content, wp-admin, plugins, MapPress and JumpStart folders, but there are no error logs. I checked cPanel, but there are no [related] errors there either.

It’s most likely a javascript issue with something on the Edit screen. Where you want to look is at the Developer “Console” tab of your browser’s inspector. But if the two just don’t work together, I’m not all that sure how this is really going to help you.

Now that you’ve updated a bunch of things, I’d also make sure you’ve completely cleared your browser cache, and that you’ve experimented with more than just the web browser you use every day. You’d be surprised how often these client javsacript issues with the Edit screen are because of something with your local browser.

Wendell Harness
    Participant

Yes, as I mentioned in the OP, I checked the console on the post edit screen and it shows no errors. So obviously that’s not going to help me any.

When having a problem like this, I always clear my browser caches and try multiple browsers. They are all doing the same thing.

The only thing that fixed the issue was switching to Twenty Thirteen, edit/publish the posts, then switching back to WPJS child theme.

Wendell Harness
    Participant

Chris over at MapPress took a look at the site and determined that the theme is loading the Google Maps API (even though I’m not using any WPJS maps in this case), which is stopping MapPress from loading the map editor libraries.

This leads to the question: Can I disable WPJS Google Maps stuff when it’s not needed?

FYI: One thing I failed to mention in the first post is that these are Portfolio posts, not standard blog posts.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.