This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Layouts to Posts May Not be Working Properly – Barely Corporate 4.1.8

• Creator
    Topic
    cfunkyk
    Participant

Some of our posts that we apply custom layouts to work just fine. They pull up the sliders and other content before the current page widget. Newly created posts do not recognize widgets added to the featured above section.

What would be holding us back and what do we need to do to solve this issue?

Thanks!

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I’m honestly not to sure what to make out what you just sent me. I think you may have just pasted all of the PHP into the form you submitted, and I’m just seeing the random remnants of what didn’t get sanitized out.

Anyway just go ahead and send me a login to your WP admin and I will take a look at your child theme directly myself in the wp admin theme editor.

cfunkyk
    Participant

You have everything you should need. Let me know otherwise. I am always around.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I tried several times pasting the password you provided, but couldn’t login to your WP admin. Please check again and send the correct password.

cfunkyk
    Participant

Sorry to bother, but you did get the updated or ‘tested’ credentials I sent over last evening. No worries, I’m sure you are busy but I am wondering if you have ever seen this before, if it will help you understand anything about your updates, etc., or if I need to try and revert back to a way earlier version of the site and try upgrading the theme/plugs and WP again to see if the same stuff happens…?

I know there was some issues with an update to this theme and the header colors and such. That happened here too and I just put more css in place to overwrite it. Just let me know where best we can go from here.

Thanks,

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

http://www.thehavertygroup.com/atlanta-real-estate/buckhead/

1) Titles not links: I think is a side effect of how you’re putting posts within posts. I’m not sure the answer there. If you wanted to force the title to be a link, you’d copy content-list.php to your child theme and you could replace themeblvd_the_title() function with simply writing out an <a> tag linking to standard the_permalink() and using the_title() to display the title.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/the_permalink

https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/the_title

2) Featured Image Link Override: You have to understand that this is just a plugin to hack in a little bonus feature. Unfortunately with this complex way of how you’re putting posts within posts, this plugin isn’t going to work for you. You could go to each post, edit it, and just set its featured image to link to their posts. Or you can manually write out the basic html/php in content-list.php that has a featured image linked to its post.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/the_permalink

https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/the_post_thumbnail

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

3) The featured area not showing on some templates: I think I figured this out. It was an issue with the layouts to posts plugin pulling meta value for elements from before 2.0 of the builder plugin. I’ll post on an update on wordpress.org, but I went ahead and put the fix directly in your version of the plugin. So, this issue should be all sorted out on your site — Do you see any more posts where the custom layouts are not showing the featured areas?

cfunkyk
    Participant

Thanks for all of this!

The interesting part is, all of this used to work when we set it up – posts inside posts were fine.

Its kind of weird how some of the image links work and most don’t”
    http://www.screencast.com/t/oTf4oyMVD

I’m pretty sure that all of this used to work before all of the upgrades to your framework and WP itself. I cannot be completely sure except for the fact that I normally test sites before putting them up and would have noticed something glaring like that. I am working on seeing how far back I can get a copy of my site to see if all this functionality worked pre-updating and such.

Does this sound like it would help you at all?

Thanks for fixing the featured image deal, it does show up now on that post!!

Are there any suggestions on how we should be using the framework based on what we are doing here? Are you sure that post lists on post pages never worked before (concerning links and image links)?

I’ll update you when I get an old version and test it out.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

No, I’m not sure if it ever worked, but again these use cases aren’t quite what it was designed to be used for — i.e. the idea of putting posts within posts. Please see my response above for possible solutions, as your site is a bit unique and adds a bit of complexity to the whole system.

cfunkyk
    Participant

The image links used to work. I have reverted back to a version from:
    The restore from 10/7/14 is up and working. If you still need more information or have any questions, please let us know and we will be glad to further assist.

The titles of the listings still do not work.

Check it now b/c I have to update it back for security….

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Do you not understand the fixes I have suggested? Would you like more explanation on the simple customizations I have suggested to remedy the issues you’re having of embedding posts within posts?

cfunkyk
    Participant

No, I got that. I just wanted to make sure that I knew this had worked before. Also, in doing that it may have helped you somewhere. No worries on hacking your plugs, I will do that in due course.

This is separate from above:

So, nothing leads you to believe that the site is not really broken on the inside somewhere, like database connection, database values not lining up properly?

When I removed the child theme, everything wen awry. Widgets change widget areas and all sorts of nonsense. Is this a cause for concern?

Is there a way to look into any of this at all, or is it not a concern.

I can’t help but think that we need to redo the site from the ground up. Is this the case or should this be a worry?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

So, nothing leads you to believe that the site is not really broken on the inside somewhere, like database connection, database values not lining up properly?

No, nothing I saw lead me to believe anything was wrong here.

When I removed the child theme, everything wen awry. Widgets change widget areas and all sorts of nonsense. Is this a cause for concern?

It’s hard to say without seeing it myself. However, what I can tell you is that I did FTP into your site previously and I looked at your parent theme, and aside from changing the name of it, I can see that you didn’t modify it, and as far as I can tell, it all seemed to be in order.

I can understand though from your perspective that everything could seem to go haywire, if you don’t know exactly what you’re looking at. Theme Options, saved menus, and widgets are all linked to the active theme, and this is something that comes up a lot for people commonly when they go the opposite direction — i.e. they decide later they want to switch to using a child theme, which is why I have this article:

http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/switching-to-a-child-theme-after-youve-already-started-building-your-website/

… I’m just taking a wild guess here, but I have a feeling these were just the issues you were seeing. Anyway, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Is there a way to look into any of this at all, or is it not a concern.

The issue is that I don’t want to do a theme update. It’s a massive overhaul to update every theme running on the 2.4 framework, going through ThemeForest approval, then to support everyone trying to stumble through the update process, etc. So, with the recent update I’ve published, I don’t want to publish another for awhile if I don’t have to.

And the two issues we’ve talked about here are arising because of a sort of unique use-case that you’re doing. While not desirable, I don’t think they warrant an update.

But let me address the two pressing issues here:

1) The title issue: I think this is happening because the theme is checking if it’s a single post, and then not wrapping the link, which is desired behavior. However, the fact that you’re listing posts within a single post, this condition is still true, and thus effects the posts in the secondary loop.

But the good news is that this is super easy to fix. Copy content-list.php to your child theme and simply replace the themeblvd_the_title() with the standard way of doing this, something like this:

<a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a>

2) Featured image link issue: Thinking about the issue with the featured image link, there’s a similar thing happening here where in the theme options you’ve set the effect not to happen on single posts. And since the overall is_single() condition is true for the posts within the secondary loop, that is taking effect there, too.

I will put it on my list to try to reproduce this on my end by adding a [post_list] to the content of a single post, and then look at featured image link override plugin to see if the plugin can be modified in some way for this.

I can’t help but think that we need to redo the site from the ground up. Is this the case or should this be a worry?

I don’t really think this? Site seems overall ok? Unless you’re looking for a more modern refresh, I suppose. Maybe something you can do with Jump Start 2 when it comes out? Maybe something you can sell your client on, in revamping the site.

cfunkyk
    Participant

Yes, we are on the same page. I just need a working site for now b/c a refresh is in the works.

Thanks so much for your time and effort in going through this with me. I’m reverting back to newest versions and going to put in your patches. I am also very familiar with the theme versions and apgrades/switches/moving servers with your themes because I have swiped my settings more than once on different sites. Sometimes just going from dev to prod on the engine. I bought my first themeblvd theme circa 2011, so……

You always go way above and beyond, and its much appreciated!

Thanks for everything!

cfunkyk
    Participant

So, for the image link you were right:
    http://www.screencast.com/t/5uOohPAjc
    Applying the Link Override to Single Posts fixes that problem (my problem). It would be nice to see it be differentiated like you might be having a look at.

————–

For the fist fix, yes, tha’s exactly right and very easy. Thanks!

—————

Please don’t think that I was trying to suggest more add-ons or another upgrade through anything I was saying. (Had a bad week this week, herniated a disc or two). If my language ever drifted that way, it was only because I felt that the image link plugin used to do that previously. I see now that the only reason I had thought it worked is because I ad the [add image override’ to single posts. This make it work on the post-lists in a plist list.

I believe this is where you were headed with that one, but I really appreciate you just putting the fix in front of me like that. I even take it a step futher, but saves me time from looking it up.

Thanks so much again, and let me know whats good otherwise!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I looked more into the issue with the Featured Image Link Override plugin and I’m afraid there’s not much I can do. I tested this out with theme blvd framework 2.5 (Jump Start 2), and the issue isn’t present. So I dug around a bit and remembered what I did previously.

In framework 2.5, I created this whole complex system for being able to keep track what kind of loop we’re in, and what loops have run previously, etc. And so being able to tell if the featured image is part of the current top-level post, or the secondary loop within the post, is pretty easy. Alternatively in framework 2.4 (Jump Start 1, Barely Corporate 4, etc), I have no way to check if it’s a single post other than using default WP conditionals that don’t take this information into account.

So, while it would be possible, it would just be too complex to implement and not really worth the trouble in my opinion, going back to the old version of the framework I’m trying to update eventually across all themes, anyway.

Also, I verified that in framework 2.5 (Jump Start 2), the issue with the titles of a post_list within the content of a single post not being linked isn’t present, because of the system I described previously being utilized there, as well.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘Barely Corporate Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.