This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

JumpStart 1

• Creator
    Topic
    elianab
    Participant

Is there any problem with not updating my JumpStart 1 sites to JumpStart 2? Most of them are very static sites, and if there’s no security risk or other problems, I’d rather just keep them in JumpStart 1.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hi,

For now, you’re okay. But I would keep in mind for the future about updating. Eventually, it will become unsupported, and then from there, it’s only a matter of time before there’s some sort of WordPress update that breaks something.

See here: http://wpjumpstart.com/faq/#v1-support

k_b
    Participant

Hi Jason,

I have lots of sites built in v1 and now starting to worry / panic about trying to convert them into v2 …
    Do you have any guidelines on how / what steps I should take to make this as straightforward as possible?
    I generally started off with one of your supplied child themes in v1 and then modified the CSS to suit my design concept.

Thanks

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I generally started off with one of your supplied child themes in v1 and then modified the CSS to suit my design concept.

It’d probably be a good idea to first remember back to the conversation we had previously about this:

http://support.themeblvd.com/forums/topic/jump-start-2-0-and-starter-child-themes/

Do you have any guidelines on how / what steps I should take to make this as straightforward as possible?

Anything you could have had setup previously through one of the old starter child themes, you can setup as a starting point through user options in Jump Start 2.

I would suggest sitting down, and installing Jump Start 2 on a local WordPress install. Then just explore the theme options and theme bases. Spend 30-60 mins, trying each of the three main theme bases at Appearance > Theme Bases (excluding “developer” base), and playing with how the theme options at Appearance > Theme Options allow you to edit your site while each of those bases is active.

Then, you’ll have a good idea of the “starting points” you can setup on any site you want to create after that. So on a new site, after you’ve selected the theme base you want and configured the theme options page, you’re where you were before. Then, continue making your tweaks from your child theme’s style.css how we talked about previously.

And with this, we’re only talking about the outer design skin of the theme. All of your content and custom layouts are going to transfer over automatically when you update. The things that don’t transfer when updating are the outer design skin and a lot of the old theme options.

k_b
    Participant

Ok thanks Jason.

The above is fine for a new site but because I have lots of v1 sites which are well established I’m going to have to basically re-created them all, which is a bit of work 🙂

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.