This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Jump Start 2.0?

• Creator
    Topic
    askwpgirl
    Participant

ETA? I’d love to chat with you. I’m teaching a class starting the third week of January. Can’t wait to get my hands on what you’ve got going on with the new Builder.

One thing that comes up repeatedly is people wanting a Visual Editor in the Columns/Content areas of the Builder. I usually use the Custom Post Widget and put one of its Content Block shortcodes in the Column/Content area in the Builder, but that’s a lot of steps.

šŸ™‚

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Well, I can tell you the list of to-do’s is quite small at this point! In hindsight, I may have got carried away with doing cool/complex things, which has made things take longer. But I think it will be worth it.

And I have sort of re-adjusted the current plan over the last couple weeks. I was originally trying to update all themes at the same time because the big issues is the Layout Builder and Shortcodes plugin are so different. But now in the last couple weeks, I’ve been spending time making it so these plugins can be updated in WP repo and work with old and new themes. This will allow me to push out Jump Start and a new theme before I update any of the old ones, which will save an enormous amount of time.

So I think you should be good for your class. My goal is to be able to just dump Layout Builder 2.0 and updated shortcodes plugin up live on WP repo as soon as possible (and have them work for everyone, all themes). This way, I can get at least a beta version of Jump Start 2.0 up for all of you customers to download and play with in test environments, as I continue to polish it off.

(If I could go back and do it over again, I probably would have left the Layout Builder specifically built-in to the theme, and not as an external plugin. But at this point, it is what it is.)

One thing that comes up repeatedly is people wanting a Visual Editor in the Columns/Content areas of the Builder.

Well, you’re in luck because this was one of the original things added to the Layout Builder 2.0 / Framework 2.5 / Jump Start 2.0.

elianab
    Participant

I’m going to be building a big site, with about 50 pages, and most of the pages are 2 columns. It sounds like your new Builder won’t be ready for me to use on this site, but I want the columns to work with the new Builder. Are there any plugins that I could use in the meantime to create the columns with a visual editor, where the code will work with your Builder when it’s ready?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

@elianab No, I apologize, but there’s no plugin or anything out there. However, if you can make use of the “Columns” element in the current Layout Builder, this will get converted for you automatically to the new system when you update in the future. Then, from that point, you’ll be able to expand on what you’re doing.

cfunkyk
    Participant

Super psyched for this Jason!! Its looking brilliant.

mizzinc
    Participant

Wow!! And I second cfunky’s comment.

Wendell Harness
    Participant

Sweet!

askwpgirl
    Participant

Beta? Really happy to help test! If it’s close to final, I wonder if I could get it before official release to start to write some notes for my class that starts in January. Thanks!!! Really awesome.

cfunkyk
    Participant

I second that motion. Not that I’m teaching a class, but I would love to test!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

As soon as I can get the TB Layout Builder plugin v2.0 and TB Shortcodes v1.5, working with new and old themes, up in the WP repo, I can get a Jump Start 2.0 beta up for you guys.

When this happens, I’ll post here here in the forum and on Twitter. And I will put the download under all your guys’ normal downloads at My Account > Downloads.

Eleven Sites
    Participant

I’d be happy to test it on one of my big sites (re: frontend plugins using Ajax)!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Iā€™d be happy to test it on one of my big sites (re: frontend plugins using Ajax)!

I wouldn’t put a beta on a live site šŸ˜‰ … Especially because realistically it’s going to require tweaks to any child theme customizations you’ve probably made, as 2.0 has been completely re-skinned.

askwpgirl
    Participant

Cool! I’m going to do a presentation the first week of January to show off the new Jump Start Layout Builder and drive some interest to the class and theme. Looking forward to playing with it!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

If anyone wants a little more of a sneak peak of the work in progress, I’ve got an updated Shortcodes demo site up to point to once the update for that plugin goes up.

http://demoblvd.com/plugins/shortcodes/

mizzinc
    Participant

Looking sharp Jason, like the small touches such as the sticky menu and off-canvas menu. Woohoo! Have you geared the theme to be a bit more stock bootstrap as well?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Have you geared the theme to be a bit more stock bootstrap as well?

In what way do you mean? I’ve always made it a point to make the theme not look easily identifiable as using Bootstrap. One thing, though, that has changed is that every set of columns — builder element, column shortcode, theme layout, etc — all use the Bootstrap grid system.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.