This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Tagged: 

how to get background to show

• Creator
    Topic
    terra100
    Participant

Hi –

I’m customizing this theme and would like to do two things: 1) have a background and then 2) place text and widgets in columns over that background.

1) I have inserted a background, but the background does not appear when I look at the site. I switched to a boxed style, and it still isn’t behind the current theme colors. Where is it?

2) how do I remove the colors from the theme so that the columns are transparent? Do I use firebug to find the colors in the sections and then customize in the editor? I know how to change the colors that way but I don’t know how to remove them completely.

Thanks!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

1) I have inserted a background, but the background does not appear when I look at the site. I switched to a boxed style, and it still isn’t behind the current theme colors. Where is it?

Can I please see a link to this issue? If you setup a custom background under Appearance > Background, it should override the theme’s background.

2) how do I remove the colors from the theme so that the columns are transparent?

I’m not totally sure what specifically you’re referring to, but if you’re trying to make any kind of CSS customization, I would suggest using any kind of inspector (Firebug, Chrome’s dev tools, etc) to find the CSS you want to override from your own stylesheet.

terra100
    Participant

http://mcculloughfilm.com/

Ultimately I’m wanting to customize to achieve something like – http://www.gennadiyfilm.com/ So, I need all the column background colors to go away so that I can just place custom code from the Layout Builder into columns.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

All right, so everything is working the way it should with your custom background. Your custom background is only going to show outside of theme’s boxed layout. However, currently you only have a centered 650px wide image with no background color selected. So, your image is just hidden behind the boxed layout of the theme, which is 980px wide.

I think for what you’re going for you’d need a much larger image to use for the background of your website. And in terms of making items transparent, you’ll want to inspect any specific elements you want to target, and see what selectors the theme is using to give them a background color. Then, you’ll copy those selectors to your child theme’s style.css and just set the background property to transparent.

For example —

#top,
    #main {
    	background: transparent;
    }

==========

For CSS changes, it’s a good idea to use a tool like firebug or Google Chrome’s built-in developer tools to locate them and then put the edits either in your child theme or in the “Custom CSS” option on your theme options page.

Also, here’s a helpful tutorial on how to use Firebug – http://vimeo.com/20917974. The only thing I’d suggest not doing is actually making edits to the theme’s CSS files, as it shows at the end of that video. However, the video serves as a good introduction to Firebug and how it can be used to find what CSS is effecting certain areas of your site without ever digging around in any files.

terra100
    Participant

Thank you – got it. I’ve cleared everything to transparent and started the build. BUT, there is some type of gradient light at the top of the screen. Any idea how to fix that?

I’ve checked all the elements. I’ve checked my images — nothing there. It’s coming from somewhere else in the theme?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

It’s a background image on the #branding element. Everything is always in your inspector; you just have to look close enough. 😉

#top #branding { background-image: none; }
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Barely Corporate Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.