This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Google: "Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content"

• Creator
    Topic
    bgfoxx

Hello. I saw a lowered “Site health” on my Google Adsense dashboard and when I clicked on the link it took me to Google’s PageSpeed Insights where it listed:
    – “Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content” as being critical for Mobile view, and..
    – “Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content” as “Consider Fixing” in Desktop view.

My question is how can I address this issue in the Alyeska theme? I am using a child-theme.

Screenshots:
    Adsense “Site Health”
    PageSpeed Insights – Mobile view errors
    PageSpeed Insights – Desktop view errors

Thank you in advance!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

These types of optimization techniques can be implemented using a plugin like W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache. Both plugins include features for compressing and compiling your scripts and stylesheets, and moving them to the wp_footer().

https://wordpress.org/plugins/w3-total-cache/

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-super-cache/

bgfoxx

I installed and configured the w3 Total Cache plugin. The “Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content” in Google’s PageSpeed Insights still persists and I cannot find an option in the W3 Total Cache plugin that addresses this issue.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Here’s a good article I found on the subject from a quick google search:

http://www.webdevdoor.com/wordpress/w3-total-cache-css-js-footer/

Under the section “MOVING W3 TOTAL CACHE JS TO FOOTER” you could #2 or #3.

Under the section “MOVE W3 TOTAL CACHE CSS TO FOOTER” there’s really only the one option, although I would consider not doing this, and leaving the CSS where it is.

Make sure you have enabled CSS and JS minify under Performance > General Settings. The only real hiccup here is that if you have a slider from the Theme Blvd sliders plugin on your homepage, there’s not going to be any way around moving this JS, as it’s printed out inline with the slider.

bgfoxx

Thanks a lot.

Minifying JS files manually in W3TC made Google PageSpeed stop complaining about the JS. Not it only complains about the CSS not being in the footer. I decided not to move them in the footer because I don’t want any un-styled parts of my site being displayed before the whole site loads. I’ll just have live with this.

Again, thanks! Great support.

alpha123
    Participant

I was attempting to overcome the same issues and found a plugin called “Speed Booster Pack” which satisfied all of the issues with PageSpeed… PROBLEM – Slider did not load at all, and pages would load in different formats… I used GTMetrix.com to run the analysis…
    The “Speed Booster Pack” plug worked, but doesn’t work with the Alyeska Theme…

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.