This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Double Breadcrumbs Using Layout to Posts plugin

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Are you hiding the default breadcrumbs through the post options?

askwpgirl
    Participant

No, because we are using breadcrumbs throughout the site. However, if you use a Custom Layout, then no breadcrumbs display. If not using a Custom Layout on a post or portfolio item, the breadcrumbs display fine.

Post with Default Layout: Single breadcrumbs

Page with Default Layout: Single breadcrumbs

Post or Page with Custom Layout: No breadcrumbs – breadcrumbs do not display on any pages or posts using a custom layout unless added as an Element – which is what I would expect.

Post with Custom Layout with Breadcrumbs Element: Two breadcrumbs

Page with Custom Layout with Breadcrumbs Element: Single breadcrumbs

Post with Custom Layout with Breadcrumbs Element but hide breadcrumbs in Post Options: Single breadcrumbs

Page with Custom Layout with Breadcrumbs Element but hide breadcrumbs in Post Options: Single breadcrumbs

My expectation is that the Post would behave the same way as the Page and just show one set up of breadcrumbs when using Custom Layout. For now, I’ll tell the person entering the content on the posts using the Custom Layout to hide the breadcrumbs in the Post Options.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

The whole layouts-to-posts thing is just a little bonus plugin. It’s a bit of a hack to get all that stuff to work with posts, so I would expect you’d run into some little quirks here and there.

But as a workaround, why not just select to hide the breadcrumbs for the individual post when you apply the template? That’s what I was referring to earlier when I said “post options” — I wasn’t suggesting that you hide breadcrumbs for your whole site.

When you’re editing an individual post, in the meta box “Post Options” there is an option called, “Breadcrumbs (the single post)” — You can switch this off for the given post, and it’ll work how you want, right? Or does this not work?

askwpgirl
    Participant

Yeah, that’s what I meant. She’ll just have to tell the client to do that. What I didn’t realize is that the theme option works to eliminate the duplicate breadcrumb. So, that’s good to know!

I usually create a custom single PHP template to make it easier for the clients doing the data entry to not have choose this and select that, etc. However, so many of my students these days really don’t want to do anything with PHP templates. It’s challenging. People want to build these pretty custom sites, but they don’t want to learn anything about coding templates. So, yeah, they need to use the Post Options in this case so it all stays in the dashboard. 🙂

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.