This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

directory move

• Creator
    Topic
    siriusmw
    Participant

Move broke builder items, db search/replace did not repair. How do we easily restore home page columns and sliders?

Everything else–standard WP– is fine.

Thanks

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    siriusmw
    Participant

Sliders are empty. URL issue?

siriusmw
    Participant

Hi, I now tried restoring the site to the original sub-directory, (this is all using the same database and just changing the directory) and the builder content, and all sliders, are still gone. Please let us know why this would happen (it is not a standard wordpress issue), as soon as you are able to reply, In the meantime we’ve had to restore the old website so I’ll need to reload the WP files once you have time to assist.

The client will launch as soon as we understand why this would happen and are able to repair. The data is still in the database.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Remember that WordPress serializes complex data like this before saving it to the database. So, if you’re losing this data, it has something to do with how you’re handling your database tables. It’s most likely with how you did your find/replace.

For example, if you were to simply go into your phpMyAdmin, and do a find/replace. Or, if you were to download the raw SQL file, do a find/replace in a text editor, and then re-import it. — These types of actions will force you to lose any serialized data that’s stored in your MySQL database.

When you make the transfer, using a tool like this to do your find/replace should eliminate the problem in the future. — http://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/

At this point, the only way to get your data back would be to revert back to before you did your find/replace, and do it over again.

Another thing, if you still have a working copy old site, is to use WordPress Import/Export tool, at WP Admin > Tools > Import/Export. For example, you could export all of the “tb_layout” custom post type posts from the old site. Then on the new site, you can import the custom layouts in.

siriusmw
    Participant

Thank you. I actually hadn’t touched the database, I changed the URL, then moved the files to another directory. All other data remained untouched, except the builder data (home page and sliders.) I’ll try again. We mainly wanted to make sure it doesn’t happen again. (I used WP search and replace plugin afterward to correct image links, which worked with no additional damage.)

*Unless changing the url/path in admin serializes….so the process would be to run the plugin first, without touching the settings, then move and test? Sorry this is basic WP, but I haven’t seen this happen with 1,000s of sites built. Thanks again!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I used WP search and replace plugin afterward to correct image links, which worked with no additional damage.

So, I’m not sure how this plugin works, but it most likely is the culprit in this situation. In the future, I’d really suggest using this. It’s super easy. Basically, you just upload the file to your WordPress site’s main directory, go directly to the URL of the file in your web browser, follow the steps to do your find/replace, then delete the file from your server.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Yup, I think that plugin is it. See what the plugin author says here to someone having a similar issue:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/replace-serialized-data

siriusmw
    Participant

It happened before I ran the plug-in. But it’s ok. I’ll check this out, and I am going to try it again from scratch. The id that is calling the builder is obviously “what broke,” since the data is all there.

Hope your games went well! Thanks for your assistance!

siriusmw
    Participant

Bad path in plugin entries (caused by directory change)–repaired manually.

[23-Feb-2014 21:07:55] PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/classic1/public_html/wp-content/themes/alyeska/framework/frontend/functions/sliders.php on line 384

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.