This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Custom Layout Editor Refresh Issues

• Creator
    Topic
    rplugge

I have been building a site using the Denali theme, as my pages grew larger and I added more elements the load-time on the Custom Layout Editor page has become increasingly long and has froze the browser on lower-end computers.

I haven’t been working with WordPress or this theme long and I’m not sure if this is an issue with the plugin or if it’s because of the amount of elements on the page.

Let me know what other information may help you.

Thanks!
    ~Rob

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hi Rob,

The layout builder can be an increasingly consuming item in your web browser as there’s a lot going on there.

Have you tried looking at inspector while loading the custom layout? By this, I mean using the web developer inspector of your current web browser, and opening the “Console” tab. This way, you can know if there’s some specific error being thrown causing things to freeze up, possibly something from the server-side of things.

If there’s no error at all, unfortunately I’m not sure what can really be done, as it may be exactly what you’re eluding to — that being just too much going on for the current client-side environment (i.e. the user in the desktop browser, not the server where the website is).

Here’s another thing you can try, if that is the case — If you’re not already, you can utilize the “Templates” feature. What I mean by that is that instead of building your homepage layout directly into the page through the Edit Page screen, you can go over to the Templates page of your WordPress admin and build your layout as a template. Then, from the Edit Page screen, you’d just sync that page to your template.

See video tutorial on templates: https://vimeo.com/112117384

In reality, this doesn’t really change anything except for moving the editing of the layout to its own page in your WordPress admin. That way, when you’re loading the custom layout, you’re not battling with anything else on the Edit Page and you’re just loading the the custom layout.

rplugge

Thanks for the quick reply Jason!

Loading it as a template to minimize what’s going on in the browser helped a little. The issue I’m having now is my work not being saved when I update the template. I had added several elements and styled them and when I went to update the template it said it had been updated, but upon page-refresh the work I had done was gone.

This issue doesn’t happen every time, but probably about 60% of the time when I’m working with one of my larger pages.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding the point of the template builder, how is one supposed to use it if it can’t handle more then ~15ish elements?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

What you’re describing now is actually probably a server-related issue, that you can fix by contacting your web host. Most likely it is that you are being limited by the max_input_vars in your PHP configuration. Basically, this limits the amount of fields that can be submitted on your server at any one time. By default in PHP, this is set to 1000 input fields. So, you can increase it to 2000 or 3000 and it should solve your issue.

The following article is from the people that make WooCommerce, but I believe is relevant in the identical way here:

https://docs.woothemes.com/document/problems-with-large-amounts-of-data-not-saving-variations-rates-etc/

The easiest solution I think is just to contact your web host support and ask them to increase your PHP max_input_vars limit.

rplugge

Gotcha, thank you for your help!

Do you know of any way that would allow me to split a page up into two pages for the sake of editing, while still being displayed/published as one page? My hope is that separate pages will decrease the load on the browser, but I do need it to be one page client-side.

Thanks again Jason!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

No apologies, I’m not aware of a way how that would be possible. You can separate our template from the Edit page screen, but there’s no way to split it up into parts.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.