This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Content types in demo?

• Creator
    Topic
    benz1

Can you please tell me what content types you have used in the Themeforest demo home page for the 3 columns under the caption with the featured images and buttons? Are they widgets (and if so which widget) or is it just manually constructed HTML content using shortcodes?

Also, what content type have you used for the content area under this with the 4 blocks using the shortcode icons? Is this a widget area or just HTML?

Is this mentioned in the documentation? If so, which section?

Thanks.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Under the Item Details page on ThemeForest for this product, scroll down to where you see the title “Homepage Setup” —

http://themeforest.net/item/barely-corporate-responsive-wordpress-theme/93069

Let me know if you don’t understand any of the steps and we can go from there.

benz1

Thanks but all it says is “Go to the Builder page and create a new custom layout. Use “Barely Corporate Homepage” as your layout’s starting point. Configure your element settings, including selecting your custom slider in the slider element, and save the layout”.

I’ve done that but don’t know what content types to use or how to reproduce the demo…

benz1

Don’t worry, i imported the sample content into a test site and see it’s just raw HTML content. A little surprising, I would have thought you would provide some plugins to create the content in the right size/format in the same way that Genesis do?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Apologies, I’m not sure I understand where the confusion is. There’s no need to import all the sample content from the demo just to create the homepage. This is what starting your layout from the sample layout will do for you (completely separate from using Tools > Import). Once you’ve done this, you can begin to edit the content in the Layout Builder. Checkout part 2 from the Layout Builder video series in your documentation.

benz1

There’s no confusion. As I said, I imported the sample content into a test site to see how the content was constructed and found it was just HTML based raw content so was able to reproduce this in the site I’m developing.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

What kind of content types would you like to see there? What would you find useful with something like the column element or the content element?

benz1

What I would like is a widget provided with the theme, similar to the Genesis – Featured Post widget, that could be used to display 3 posts from a selected category side by side in a single 100% wide column area, that would show the content as formatted in your demo with a 266x99px image above a text excerpt with a built in read more button pointing to the post.

I know you can achieve the same result by manually creating the content but considering the whole point of using WP is ease of use for the client, it is much easier for then to create a post than format the HTML, and each time they add a new post to the selected category, it would automatically appear in the content area.

It can also be achieved by using an external page but then you have to format the page with a 299 wide image at the top, add a read more link etc, and each time you want to add new content you have to change the page it points to inthe Builder. A plugin as outlined above would be much simpler and more user friendly.

I’ve just spent hours trying out various featured post plugins but none of them are suitable. Unfortunately several enhanced Genesis plugins on the repository require that the Genesis framework is activated.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Barely Corporate Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.