This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Tagged: 

ChildTheme Edits to move lists to left margin

• Creator
    Topic
    bartwindrum
    Participant

Hi Jason! I’ve tried various CSS edits I’ve found online and they’re not working; I don’t know if the code has been superseded or if Akita requires a specific syntax…

I’m trying to move both numbered and bulleted lists left a bit so that the numbers and the bullets align left the same as other text.

Note that I am *not* otherwise wanting to change the indents applied to numbered and bulleted lists — that point of using them is to cause multi-line entries to left-align with some indent/padding (whichever term is used for this) so that the numbers and bullets stay “outside” the list (in typography that’s called a “hanging indent”).

Unless Akita requires specific syntax, this query is probably outside a normal support request; any guidance will be gratefully received.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

[removed, not relevant to what poster was asking]

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

It is entirely possible I’m completely misunderstanding what you’re saying… Re-reading, it sounds like all you’re trying to do is change the left padding of the lists…

ul,
    ol {
    	padding-left: 17px; /* Adjust... */
    }
    bartwindrum
    Participant

I’ve examined the blocks using Firebug and tried changing margin and padding values; nothing’s working including the code above. Not trusting Safari cache clearing I viewed the page in Firefox after changing CSS in Safari. It’s probably some simple bit of ignorance. This pic shows what I’m after:

http://postimg.org/image/zau72yms3/

which is to move the blocks leftward flush left with each section’s heading, eliminating the space taken by the blue rectangles and otherwise retaining the indents.

The blocks are in a column element populated with raw content.

I’ll keep working on it :).

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Ya if that’s all you’re doing, it should be cake and what I gave you should work. Is there a live page where I can see this you’re working on? Maybe there’s something specific about the page or some other factor I can spot.

bartwindrum
    Participant

Sure, and thank you. It’s http://www.AxiomAction.com/webinar814, the landing page I’m authoring. Bottom left.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Here’s how I’m able to get your lists flush against the left edge by simply styling left padding on <ul> and <ol>.

See screenshot: http://www.uploadblvd.com/uploads/image_53e533bc328bb.png

… That’s all there is to it. However, looking in your child theme’s style.css, I do not see any styling of lists.

http://axiomaction.com/wp-content/themes/akita-child/style.css

Browser caching and server caching are two completely different things. It appears you’re using some sort of WP caching plugin on your site. I would disable this while you’re developing. It looks like your changes in style.css (if you made them) aren’t making them to the actual file. This is only possible if you’re (1) not updating the file properly on your server or (2) your server has a cached result of the file (probably from a WP plugin you’re using) or (3) the browser has a cached file (which you can get around by simply refreshing the webpage, in most cases).

bartwindrum
    Participant

Thank you Jason. I pulled the ineffective CSS code adds from the file. Yes, I’m using a WP cache plug in. Thing is, when I added the code to delete the logo, header, and footer from the landing page, and to cause buttons to break to multiple lines on narrow displays, those changes took effect immediately (as have the few other CSS changes I put into the ChildTheme CSS file. For some reason they’re not taking immediate effect now, with this list padding thing, despite clearing browser cache and purging the subject page from page cache. Refreshing the page, now the numbered list is flush left but not yet the bulleted list. Wild scene.

I’ll try to get it in my head that CACHE CACHE CACHE is an issue when developing and therefore to disable the caching plugin while doing so.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

For Safari, there is an extension called “Live CSS Edit” you could try installing — it’ll allow you to type in CSS and see how it effects your site instantly. This way, you’ll know if your new CSS is wrong or if it’s an issue with the edits not coming into your site. That’s what I’m using in the screenshot in my last comment to show you how the styles should be effecting your site.

bartwindrum
    Participant

Yes, I noticed and was just seeking it out when Safari crashed and I reset it (which causes it’s own brand of bizarre behavior). Just installed it. And just noticed the ol padding statement needs a colon first, not a semicolon. Ahem.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hm, you’re saying I used a semi-colon somewhere incorrectly in a snippet I gave you? Where?

But yes, in CSS, properties and their respective values are always separated by a colon, while property/value pairs are always separated by a semi-colon.

i.e. — foo:bar;foo2:bar2;

bartwindrum
    Participant

no, I did when I typed it in while viewing the screenshot of Live CSS Edit. I’ve msged him because I don’t see documentation for the extension and a) I only get the move and close buttons, not the 4 buttons shown on the site, so I can’t set options and it also draws underneath WP’s admin bar (which I have learned I can toggle or move to the bottom of a window but that req’s yet another WP plugin…). Maybe this sort of time-extracting effort is what happens when a wet-behind-the-ears person needs to tweek stuff. Thanks for your engagement, I very much appreciate it — and, you should get back to your more important work!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.