This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Bootstrap 3.0

• Creator
    Topic
    clamle
    Participant

Hey Jason,

Do you have plans to integrate the latest Bootstrap 3.0 into Alyeska any time soon? I noticed that quite a few of the class names have changed from 2.3.

http://getbootstrap.com/getting-started/#migration

Is this something that can be done in the functions file or would you suggest against it?

Cheers~

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

At some point we definitely will inevitably get up to Bootstrap 3+, but this won’t realistically happen for awhile. Alyeska 3.0 is only a couples months old and was a huge update for previous buyers. So, that’s my main fear in getting up to Bootstrap 3+ too soon, as it will cause a lot of changes to happen in the theme, and I don’t want this to happen so close to the previous huge release.

If you do need to get to Boostrap 2.x docs:

http://getbootstrap.com/2.3.2/

clamle
    Participant

Hey Jason,

How should we plan to handle the upgrade when it does happen?

For example if I use the 2.3.2 scaffolding grid css classes such as:
    span6 — span6
    (see: http://getbootstrap.com/2.3.2/scaffolding.html)

And a year from now you integrate the new 3.0 bootstrap libs which changes its grid layout system css classes to
    col-md-6 — col-md-6
    (see: http://getbootstrap.com/css/)

All of my layouts most of which are php template files I will have to go back and refactor. Is there a clean way to overcome this? I don’t want to have go back and readjust all my classes if I don’t have to, pending I can make them all complaint today.

Any suggestions/workarounds or ideas? It doesn’t really have to be elegant….

Thanks!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I have no plans for this happening in the near future; so you’re fine for now. —

When I make updates, I do my best to make things as seamless as I can. As far as these Bootstrap-related things that end up changing, I will put automatic fallbacks with anything I have control over.

For example, with the grid system, I would put a filter with a very low priority (i.e. it comes after any filters you would have done) on the main sidebar layout system that changes all span6 to col-md-6.

Anything that’s in the PHP passing through my functions I always try to put fallbacks. If you were to look at the shortcodes plugin, you’ll see tons of fallback stuff in there for all the people that were using the same shortcodes before the theme had Bootstrap. This way when people update, as much stuff as possible just works.

In regards to the future updates — You’ve always got your changelog link at the bottom of your Theme Options page you can monitor. Additionally, if you setup in-dashboard updates, you’ll be notified in your WP Admin when an update is posted on ThemeForest.

I do my best to document anything that would “break” when you update or any kind of special instructions you need. For example, in the changelog see the note on the big 3.0.0 update linking to this article at the top.

The problem is many people do not read those things, but I can tell that’s not you. You’ll be just fine. And if you ever have any questions about something when you’re testing your child theme against a theme update in your staging environment before going live, just let me know. I’m very on top of any piece of code, filter, action, etc, that changes, with everything logged.

clamle
    Participant

Thanks for the detailed response, I appreciate it!

If you want to add me as a beta tester for Alyeska I’d be glad to help out. I do quite a bit of custom work with the theme…

Cheers~

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.