This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Layout Builder 2.0, separated elements from Edit Page, template sync

• Creator
    Topic
    bartwindrum
    Participant

Hi Jason,

I’m curious about what caused you to choose to remove access to Builder template elements when working on individual WP page content (the recent plugin updates). I have a long landing page that’s carefully constructed with a variety of builder elements in addition to content entered in the WP content field. The page is a one-off. I’m concerned that if/when I need to edit the page, doing so will be significantly more difficult and challenging, having to work back-and-forth between two “views” of the overall page content. Crazymaking, actually…

Respectfully, Bart Windrum

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hey Bart,

The functionally hasn’t been removed at all, but actually enhanced. The layout builder just now works conceptually different than before. There used to just be these layouts that were applied to a page, and while you could edit them from the Edit Page screen, they were still not part of the current page.

Now, there is a separation between what is called a “template” (a re-usable layout) and the custom layout of a current page. Before jumping to conclusions or trying anything in your WP admin, watch the two following videos from your theme’s updated documentation in their entirety:

Overview: https://vimeo.com/112649094
    Templates: https://vimeo.com/112649093

… After watching the videos and understanding how the new interface works, you can go back to the Edit Page screen, click the “Un-sync Template” link and then apply your original template as a “starting point” from the dropdown menu. This will insert all of your template’s currently configured elements into your page’s custom layout. Then, you can even delete the original template, if you want.

bartwindrum
    Participant

Aha, I get it. More flexibility. 🙂

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

In case anyone else comes across this topic, this animated GIF might be helpful:

bartwindrum
    Participant

Jason, in the new environment under WP 4.0x, the page content takes noticeably longer to load — and a very long time to load when that content is tabbed. Do you know if this is due to WP, Builder v2, or some interaction between both?

btw, I can edit page content just fine and my pages are linked to templates.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

The more stuff you add is going to take a larger toll on how long everything takes to load in front of you. I’m sure there can be a number of factors and plugins contributing. But yes if you were to edit a page, adding the Layout Builder plugin is going to weigh down the load of the screen, over if it wasn’t activated or used at all.

The builder itself relies on a lot of javascript to present the interface to you, which is all loaded in front of you in the browser, opposed to being sent to the page in delivery to the browser from your server. This is what gives you an animated interface that you can interact with, which is different than the standard page edit experience by default, not using any plugins.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.