This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Tagged: 

XML sitemap issue

• Creator
    Topic
    dklahre
    Participant

I took out one of my main menu items because it was getting too crowded and thought it would be good to create an XML sitemap. Anyway, when I installed one and saved the settings, it screwed up my site. With this said, is there any reason to have an XML sitemap when an XML feed is automatically generated? Will not having one hinder my site growth?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

This is all matter of personal opinion, but I don’t really believe an XML sitemap is all that necessary any more. To me, it seems like sort of an old concept. However, I think some way for search engines to be able to crawl all links of your site in some way, is very important (as it’s always been, I suppose, since the beginning of search engines and the Internet).

What I would do is utilize the “Footer Menu” location of the theme at Appearance > Menus, and I’d link to a static page that you’ve applied our “Sitemap” page template to. This will essentially just spit out links to all the pages on your website. This way everything on your site is accessible to crawlers, just one link away, across your entire site.

cowboymike
    Participant

I have done something similar to what Jason has suggested. See here: http://www.hibiscusbythebay.com/hibiscus-by-the-bay-sitemap/

Happy trails, Mike Foate

dklahre
    Participant

Hey thanks Mike,
    By looking at your site I can see little nuances of the theme that I wasn’t aware of. So many possibilities!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.