This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

WPML Can't Translate Custom Layout Elements?

• Creator
    Topic

The videos on custom layouts for Alyeska were great, but I’m having trouble getting that to work with the translation plugin WPML. I’m making an English tutoring website and, with the help of former clients, translating it into several languages. I’m doing a dry-run now into Italian myself so that I can give my translators clear instructions on how to translate it. Here’s the site: englishempowers.com

I created a custom layout called “Homepage” with the popular sidebar-slogan-content custom layout and installed that to my actual homepage, “Home”. (Sorry if the names are confusing.) The slogan (“We help international…”) I wrote in the element, and the content (“English Empowers teaches and advises…”) was “existing content” that had been on “Home” already. This worked fine in English, but on the Italian version “Home” says INVALID ID LAYOUT. I have tried to sync and translate everything I can, using the String Translation options that seem to catch text not on the main pages, but this has not been successful.

I know NO code at all, so please let me know how I can do this. I bought Alyeska specifically for the homepage design and the WPML compatibility, and now I can’t translate my homepage!!! πŸ™ Thanks.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Let’s start with this. Have you checked out our site on using the theme with WPML and using our WPML Bridge plugin? — http://wpml.themeblvd.com

http://wpml.themeblvd.com/documentation/custom-homepage-layouts/

Thanks, I have checked out this site and installed the plugin but still need major help. I bought Alyeska and WPML together because I need to translate this page into 9 languages for my international clients.

I now have a unique “Italian homepage layout” for my Italian “Home,” and (when Appearances->Reading set to Latest Posts, not Static Page) the Italian “Home” indeed shows me the slider-slogan-content layout that I custom built for “Italian homepage layout.” But the elements below the slider have no text currently, and I don’t see how to send the elements from “English homepage layout” to my Italian translator (me, as subscriber with another WP username). This is the main problem β€”Β on the Translation Management page I can send the “English homepage layout,” but when I log in as the dummy Italian translator all I see is this screenshot. At the very least there should be the slogan text there for the Italian translator to edit in Italian.

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/688mt5.png[/IMG]

What’s more, with Appearances->Reading set to Latest Posts, the English homepage layout that I created, with the slogan element and the content (existing) element, does not appear. I don’t see how I can go back and forth between the English “Home” and the Italian “Home” and see this custom layout (which I made to look the same) β€” much less with the text translated properly… When Reading->Latest Posts, I can sort of see it in Italian; and when Reading->Static (Home), I can see it in English.

I only have one necessary custom layout and need to get this done to translate my homepage. I understand ThemeBlvd may be new to WPML support, but I am totally new to all this and just dropped $130 combined on Alyeska and ThemeBlvd. Please help! Thanks.

Here is that screen shot; not sure if it worked in that format:

http://oi50.tinypic.com/688mt5.jpg

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

All right, take a breath. I’m not going anywhere. We’ll get you squared away.

First off, the homepage layouts are not going to work as it sounds like you’re expecting. In terms of the homepage specifically, you don’t do anything under WPML’s Translation Interface that you’re linking to in your screenshot. I’m a little confused though if you’re reading this article or not because you seem to be taking some parts away from it but not others.

So, maybe it’s not quire clear enough on my part. That’s okay; let’s break it down.

• Step 1: Go to the Builder section.
    • Step 2: For each language create a unique custom layout AND configure your content for each language’s layout all from within the Builder section of your WordPress admin panel.
    • Step 3: Go to Settings > Reading > frontpage displays and select “your latest posts” (which it sounds like you’re already doing).
    • Step 4: Go to Appearance > Theme Options and at the top of the screen you’ll see that the WPML Bridge plugin gives you a different set of theme options for each language. So, within each language, go to Content > Homepage, select that language’s custom layout, and save that language’s options page. Again, you do that process for each language.

Is any of that unclear? Simply let me know what doesn’t make sense to you.

From what you were describing, it sounds like you were only partially doing step 2 and not doing step 4.

Also, in your screenshot, it doesn’t appear you were logged into an administer-level account, which will be needed to edit your Theme Options and custom layouts. I’m not sure if this is relevant, or if you were simply wanting to hide elements in the screenshot, but if you do need to Theme Options and the Layout Builder to show up for other user levels, this is possible through Child theme customization. — http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/changing-user-role-access-for-admin-modules/

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.