This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

wp automatic formatting ignored?

• Creator
    Topic
    yumiko7
    Participant

Hi Jason,

I am making a new blog site. When I activate Akita theme, all the text in a post becomes one big paragraph. Is it that automatic text formatting is ignored? How can I make paragraphs without inserting p tag, or do I have to do that?

The site is at: http://nakayumi.com/blog/

Thank you for the great theme and thank you for your support!

Yumiko

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Yumiko,

What you’re seeing on the blog page are called “the excerpt” in WordPress. You set the excerpt for each post in the meta box titled “Excerpt” when editing a post. If you do not set an excerpt, WordPress automatically takes the first 55 words from your post and constructs is for you, and this is not going to include any shortcodes, auto-formattings, etc. So, essentially, you’re seeing WordPress’s fallback because you haven’t set any excerpts.

Now, alternatively, if you want to show the full content (with auto-formatting and all), you can change this on your Theme Options page. Go to Appearance > Theme Options > Content > Primary Posts Display > Show excerpts or full content?, and select to show full content.

yumiko7
    Participant

Thank you for your advise, Jason.

Hmm… It wasn’t just 55 words. The entire long post was bunched into one paragraph.
    But anyways, your “alternative” solution works so I am good.

Thank you,
    Yumiko

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hmm… It wasn’t just 55 words.

I think it’s some odd side effect WordPress is having in determining the first 55 words of the text being in Japanese. I’m not totally sure, to be honest.

In any event, if you did still want to use excerpts, you’d normally want to actually write it in, opposed to letting WordPress automatically generate it for you. This is most people’s preference. If you’re writing a post, and you don’t see the “Excerpt” box to put this in, it means you have it hidden. You can select to display it from the “Screen Options” tab in the top right corner of the screen when editing the post.

yumiko7
    Participant

Thanks again for your advise, Jason.
    55 words; Japanese could well be the reason.

Excerpts: I was never clear what excerpts are for. (I am not asking you to spend time explaining it to me unless you want to ) It’s good to know that most people prefer to have them and they input them manually.

Thank you,
    Yumiko

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

It’s just an alternative way of displaying each post over in the blog page. There are essentially two popular setups.

1) The more classic approach to a “blog” would display the content of each post up to a certain point where you then break it with <!--more-->, which WordPress then adds a link to the full post at this point.

2) Then there’s the excerpt. In this case, maybe on your blog page you want a short description of each post, opposed to actual text literally taken from the post. This might be more popular with corporate types of blog pages, or maybe where you’re going for more of a “News” style page, or maybe where you want a more consistant, concise looking blog page.

In most themes designs, the author is going to pick one or the other for you, depending on the design of the theme. I just like to try and give you the option for either one because many people tend to have a different opinion on this subject.

yumiko7
    Participant

Thanks Jason for your explanation. Much appreciated.
    I personally like just seeing title, or the whole content. I don’t like clicking on “read more”.
    But I understand how everyone has different preference.

Thanks again for great support!
    Yumiko

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.