This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

WordPress Upgrade Issues

• Creator
    Topic
    kdaigler
    Participant

I’ve developed a website using the Swagger theme (it is at IP address: http://173.201.1.248) and will be ready to go live with it very soon. In the time it took me to develop it, WordPress came out with an update as well as several of the plug-ins I am using. I copied the development site to a test environment and upgraded to WordPress 3.5.1 from 3.4.2.

I backed up the database, turned off all plug-ins and upgraded to WP 3.5.1 from within the admin area in the back end of the site.

After reactivating the plugins, I looked at the site and found several issues: all of the custom widgets had disappeared (on the right hand side bar and the footer), the content from about 15 different sliders had disappeared as well as things like my logo in the header reverting to the Swagger logo, several style sheet styles were not being applied (custom fonts being one of them) and other things that were settings done in the theme itself (for example, breadcrumbs were turned back on).

Any thoughts as to where I went wrong? Is there something about the Swagger theme that is updated differently than the method I used?

Any help is always appreciated. I may need to stick with the current version for a while until I get it figured out.

Kathy D.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Kathy,

No, there’s really nothing specific to the theme here; you just need to be careful when you’re transferring your WordPress database SQL and remember that you’re working with serialized data.

I can’t really know what you’ve done in this scenario, but I’ll give you a common example that people run into with this:

When transferring a site, they’ll export their database as an SQL file. Then, they’ll open in a text editor and do a mass find/replace of the URL string of where their transferring the site like "http://previoussite.com" to "http://newsite.com" — Then they see random results like widget data not transferring is a really common one. And the reason is because the data is serialized. The only way this approach would work is if the old URL happened to be the same number of characters as the new URL.

kdaigler
    Participant

The site actually transferred to the test environment just fine. The widgets were lost, along with the other strange things I described, after I upgraded to the latest version of WordPress.

I did go through the scenario you described about doing a search and replace in the database when I copied it to my test environment. I then added some code to the wp-includes/functions.php file to try and compensate for the serialized data issue. Perhaps that is causing my issues when I do the WordPress upgrade.

In any event, it’s a great template and I appreciate your quick response.

Kathy D.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Swagger Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.