This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Tagged: 

WishList Item: user definable tab colors

• Creator
    Topic
    bartwindrum
    Participant

Hi Jason, just want to throw into the ring that I can see some utility in colorizing tabs. The utility would require any number of user-defined (hex) colors, *not* some limited pre-defined palette. Would be a nifty layout enhancement :).

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hi!

Going to level with you, probably not going to happen. The reason is just because styling on the tabs (setup by Bootstrap) is a pain to deal with. It’s not just a matter of one item to change the background color of.

So, the amount of code to make this possible as a user option, have it actually look nice after the user picks a color, and add into the cog of the whole system just isn’t worth it to me. Another thing I did similar to this was with adding a bunch of button colors to what Bootstrap does. This is probably worth it because it’s so popular, but the biggest pain to manage from update to update.

But, so you know your input is not lost on me. I think you’ll like this upcoming change. I’m pretty sure this idea started from something you said about the Footer text option.

bartwindrum
    Participant

Very sweet :). And, you know, the more UI in which we can see html, esp. what you’re doing in content areas, has the potential to lessen support calls.

Are you going to pepper the UI with Open in Editor buttons? (such as columns?)

I totally understand about colored tabs. Not a biggie, but as a graphics guy color coding sometimes help differentiate. Hey, here’s a suggestion but don’t think I’m pushing, this just occurred to me: import a pix as a tab background. Has the potential to accomplish the same coloration, dunno if it’d be any easier to enable on your end.

Over and out on this one so as not to cry wolf.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Yeah, the Builder is going through a lot of changes. In the “Columns” and “Content” elements, I’m doing a system I’m calling “Content Blocks” where you can have multiple within these elements. I can paste some screenshots from another topic.

=======

In the Layout Builder, there are now these content blocks.

If you’re using a “Content” type block, then you’ll see the little pencil, where you can edit the content.

Otherwise, options for each content block are accessed from the little settings icon.

With this, hopefully the door can be opened to a bunch of new Content Block types. And then combined with upcoming new shortcode generator, things should be moving a lot better!

https://twitter.com/ThemeBlvd/status/450426825634611201

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

And yeah, I guess that pencil icon will get kind of scattered through to things like the Tabs element.

bartwindrum
    Participant

How will pages built under the current version appear in the new UI? Will content blocks be assigned automatically, or will we have to manually rebuild in order to take advantage of the forthcoming content block editor?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

It’s all automatic. — For each column or content element, in your version you have where you could have selected from the four content types. There is now a content block associated with each of those 4 types (plus a bunch more). So, when your layout loads in the new Builder, it looks for the old method, and then converts it for you.

So, for example, say in your original layout you had a Columns element where you chose “Raw Content” in each column and put in some content for each… When you load this layout, it’ll convert this to a starting point of four columns with one “Raw Text” block in each column with whatever you had before. You can leave it is, or add to it.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

So… what I’m saying is build away! Don’t worry about any of this. This update is months away, anyway.

bartwindrum
    Participant

Yay! Sounds like a really great user enhancement. More kudos to you; thanks for your vision and effort. BTW dunno when you last scoped my site but I’m 99% done until I build up my program offerings, make landing pages, and pitch ’em to the world. I’ve relied completely on tabs to consolidate my primary pages (programs, speaking, books). If you care to, and have 2 minutes, check ’em out at http://www.AxiomAction.com . BTW the forthcoming tabs urls will be highly useful, letting me target people directly to tabs on those consolidated pages.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

The site looks great!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.