This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Where are Social Media Buttons in the Header?

• Creator
    Topic
    queenidella
    Participant

I am using the child Alyeska theme for my site – http://voicemamastudios.com – and did not want the custom examples in the Child functions.php on my site. I do want the Social Media Buttons, and I clicked on them on the Theme Options/Layout page (where you can select a Header Logo and right underneath that you are given Social Media buttons to choose from.)

i commented out the ‘customization’, thinking that maybe if I got rid of that the Social Media buttons would show up in the Header, but they did not. Can you tell me where they are supposed to be, and how I can make them visible? I noticed that on the Alyeska demo the social media buttons are in the far-right column of the primary area, but if I selected them to be in the Header, why aren’t they there?

Thanks!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Looking at your site it looks like you figured it out. For future reference, this is the line that was removing the social icons that you needed to get out of there:

remove_all_actions('themeblvd_header_addon');

Note: For anyone else reading this and is confused about the topic, this is in regards to the sample Child themes that came with Alyeska prior to version 2.1, which contained some sample code customizations as examples.

queenidella
    Participant

Thanks for your quick reply!

I DO want the Social Media buttons, but I do not want the custom text. I figured out how to get rid of the ‘customization’ text, but I have not figured out how to get the Social Media buttons visible in the header. If I uncomment that line, will it show the Social Media buttons?

If that is not it, what else do I need to do to show the Social Media buttons?

Is there a newer version available that does not have the code customization?

Thanks, Alicia

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

There seems to be some confusion here. —

First, when I originally answered your question, and looked at your website, I did indeed see the social icons in the header. I have a feeling you were just messing around with things that time. Anyway, so I assumed you had it solved.

I DO want the Social Media buttons, but I do not want the custom text. I figured out how to get rid of the ‘customization’ text, but I have not figured out how to get the Social Media buttons visible in the header. If I uncomment that line, will it show the Social Media buttons?

Yup, just get rid of the line. The line I referenced simply removes any actions attached to the themeblvd_header_addon action. The Alyeska theme hooks the social icons to this action. So, if it’s in there it’s going to get rid of the social icons. That’s the point of that example.

If you’re going to be working with a Child theme, it’s going to be a good idea to read up a bit on what actions hooks are in WordPress and how you can utilize them with the theme. This will really open up your possibilities for customizations.

http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/the-wordpress-functions-you-need-to-know/

http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/actions/

http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/primary-framework-action-hooks/

Is there a newer version available that does not have the code customization?

Your version of Alyeska is actually quite old now. There have been several updates since. Here is the complete change log:

http://www.themeblvd.com/changelog/?theme=alyeska

Starting with Alyeska 2.1, we started shipping a new sample Child theme example, that instead of including the code examples, is just setup to essentially be a blank starting point.

Note: Also, keep in mind that in the old sample Child theme that you’re using, these are just examples. Simply delete everything you don’t want to use.

Framework location not defined in functions.php

I just checked out your site and saw this in your site’s output.

Starting with Alyeska 2.1, there was a featured added that allows you to include the framework at the top of your Child theme’s functions.php. This makes modifying action hooks much more simple.

Anyway, it looks like in the confusion of the situation, you’ve now downloaded the sample child theme from the newer version of Alyeska but paired with the old 2.0.1 version you’re running.

If you do decide to update to Alyeska v2.1, I’d suggest watching this video on the Child theme: https://vimeo.com/41331677

queenidella
    Participant

I re-installed the new updated theme and now I just have a little bit of tweaking to get it back to where it was. So now I guess I’ll just have to make my own Social Media buttons, maybe put them in one of the columns or something.

Thanks so much for your help.

queenidella
    Participant

I guess I still haven’t figured out where they are. I can see that I’ve installed the updated Alyeska and Child themes, and the functions.php in the new child theme does not have the customization codes. In the Appearance/Theme Options/Layout/Header section in the Dashboard, the choices are (from the top down) 1. Logo, 2. Social Media buttons, and 3. Header Text. On my front page, I see the Logo, and I see the Header Text. I don’t see Social Media buttons.

I’m sure I’m missing something, but not sure where to look for it.

queenidella
    Participant

Well, I am just all kinds of stupid.

I went to Chrome to look at the site, since I’m not logged into WordPress there – and I see the icons! In Firefox where I am logged into WP, I don’t. The WP menu bar is at the top of the page, but still should not have been covering up the icons.

Still, I saw that they were there, so I had to figure out why I couldn’t see them in Firefox.

I had Adblock Plus enabled on my page. When I disabled it, the icons showed up.

Sorry for being an complete and total idiot, but your info did help me understand the Child theme stuff better. Thanks.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.