This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

What is a Genesis framework?

• Creator
    Topic
    tdkehoe
    Participant

I’m considering moving my website hosting to Websynthesis.com, because Yoast.com recommended it. Websynthesis.com touts something called a Genesis framework. I can’t figure out what this is, specifically, will I have to stop using Akita and buy a theme from someone else, or does Akita work with Genesis?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Genesis a WordPress theme framework; if you were using a Genesis-based theme, you’d no longer be using Akita.

tdkehoe
    Participant

I tried a Genesis theme (“Generate”) and gave up. I use a slider on a static homepage. The theme could only have a slider on a blog post page. And after using Akita I was disappointed that the Genesis theme was “bare bones,” no Builder, etc. You have to write code do anything. The Genesis theme is 303 KB when Akita is 8 MB! Well, of course Genesis is “high performance,” it doesn’t have any features to slow it down!

I installed Akita on Websynthesis.com and ran into a problem. The slider works when I set the homepage to “Your latest posts” but the slider doesn’t work when I set the homepage to “A static page.” This is the same problem I had with the Genesis theme. I don’t have this problem running Akita on Siteground.com. I posted a support ticket to Websynthesis.com and their response was:

“If you are not using a Genesis child theme then the Genesis framework would not have any impact on the slider functionality in an unrelated theme. You may want to check with the theme author to see if the slider relies on exec() or url_fopen to load the slider. I would also check to see if the theme has any known issues with APC enabled servers. Let us know on this!”

What do you think? Is the problem Akita or their server? Should I keep my website on Siteground.com?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hmm, can I see a live link to the site where the slider isn’t working? I have to think there is a simple answer. Something doesn’t add up there.

And thanks for the thoughts on Genesis. Always interesting to hear different opinions.

tdkehoe
    Participant

I just ran into the same problem setting up Akita on Siteground (a different account). In Akita Customize –> Homepage, when I switch between “Front page displays” “Your latest posts” vs. “A static page” the slider appears and disappears. You should be able to see it at [link removed]

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I think you may be misunderstanding how the theme is setup in this regard. You’ve got a static page with out a custom layout set as your homepage. I don’t quite understand why you’re expecting a slider to be there? Where is the slider supposed to be coming from? What option are you choosing in the theme that would make you think a slider should show there? — I’m just trying to understand your thinking here so I can explain what the correct course of action is, as there are many ways to get a slider to theoretically show on a page.

tdkehoe
    Participant

I made a custom layout in Builder, called ‘My So-Called Layout”. The custom layout has a slider in the “Featured Above” area. I made a slider with five slides. In “Appearance –> Theme Options,” under “Homepage Content” I selected “Custom Layout” and selected “My So-Called Layout” as the layout. Then in “Appearance –> Themes” I went to “Customize” and “Homepage.” If I select “Your latest posts” the slider appears. If I select “A static page” (and under that “Home” as the front page) the slider vanishes. What else am I supposed to do? The same problem happens on two websites.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Aw ok, I understand what you mean. First, take note of the option on your theme options page:

When you set a static page as your “front page,” your “home page” is no longer the homepage as you see it because WordPress associates the “home page” as the “posts page” in terms of what it’s querying and what template files it’s using.

So, keeping that in mind, there are two completely separate ways you can apply a custom layout to your homepage/frontpage, which you are sort of mixing up and combining.

Method #1: Go to Settings > Reading > Frontpage displays and select “your latest posts”. Then, go to Appearance > Theme Options > Content > Homepage and select a custom layout.

Method #2: Go to Settings > Reading > Frontpage displays and select a static frontpage. Now, go to that page, and apply a custom layout to it. (See video)

tdkehoe
    Participant

Method #1 didn’t work but Method #2 worked. Thanks!

tdkehoe
    Participant

Can you delete my response from two hours ago where I gave you the password to the proxy website?

tdkehoe
    Participant

Under “Appearance –> Theme Options –> Content –> Homepage” there are instructions:

Select the content you’d like to show on your homepage. Note that for this setting to take effect, you must go to Settings > Reading > Frontpage displays, and select “your latest posts.”

You may want to rewrite those instructions, adding Method #2.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.