This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Using Jump Start with WordPress Multisite

• Creator
    Topic
    srumery
    Participant

How will installing Jumpstart on a Multisite work with the recommended plugins like Theme Blvd Layout Builder and Theme Blvd Widget Areas? Should the plugins be site specific or Network Enabled?

It seems like making them site specific might be the best way to go but then, there is a separate install of the plugin for each site on the network. Also, if the plugin needs an update, they will need to be maintained separately.

If they are network enabled, they will be available for each site on the network. Even if the select theme is Twenty Twelve, the plugins will be in the site configuration, but not useful.

How would you handle setting up your framework on a Multisite if other themes are available?

How would you handle setting up your framework on a Multisite if Jump Start, with child themes, are the only themes on the network?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

It seems like making them site specific might be the best way to go but then, there is a separate install of the plugin for each site on the network. Also, if the plugin needs an update, they will need to be maintained separately.

I don’t quite understand where you’re getting this idea from? Or maybe I’m just misunderstanding what you’re saying.

When you have plugins on a WordPress multisite network, they’re always managed from one place no matter how you have them activated; that’s one of the big features of multisite. So, no matter how you choose to activate the plugins, you could never update a plugin for one site and not another.

If your network includes sites that don’t use Jump Start or you don’t need all plugins on all sites, then you wouldn’t want to network activate the plugins, because that means you’re just telling WordPress you want those plugins activated across all of your sites. So, instead, I’d say it make more sense to go to each site you want to use the plugins on and activate them there individually.

And again, this doesn’t mean you have to update a plugin in more than one place. I’m not sure where you’re getting that from.

srumery
    Participant

I will network enable the plugins. I have tested this further and for what I am building, that is the best fit. Thank you.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.