This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Updating to Jump Start 1.0.2 – Lose Customizations?

• Creator
    Topic
    colinmac
    Participant

Hi –

After handing off a Jump Start based site to a client I recently logged into their site to make sure that they were keeping on top of their updates (they weren’t) but when I tried to update them from JS 1.0 to JS 1.0.2 I got a dialog that said “Updating this theme will lose any customizations you have made.”

Exactly which customizations does the update nuke? I was careful to only work on the child theme.

Thanks in advance.

Colin

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Colin,

This is just referring to the Jump Start parent theme itself you’re updating. The Child theme you’ve created is a completely separate theme, as WordPress sees it. So, you won’t lose anything there. Basically, WordPress is going to take the folder /wp-content/themes/jumpstart/, delete it, and replace with the new one from our servers.

But in general, if you’re working on these sites for a client, it’s really not a good idea to be making updates to big things like your theme or big plugins important to your site without any kind of staging/testing environment. — In other words, just doing them live, not knowing what’s going to happen with their setup.

Remember to update all of the Theme Blvd plugins, as well, at the same time you’re doing this.

colinmac
    Participant

Thanks Jason! Very reassuring that we won’t lose the child theme customizations and great advice about the staging server.

Looks like I’m going to have to update my instruction sheet for the client as well regarding the 1.0.2 changes.

Love your support.

Colin

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.