This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Updating from old version of Akita

• Creator
    Topic
    azolotusky

Jason,

Can you please help me understand what will happen if I update from an old version of Akita (Akita 2.0.2 with Theme Blvd Framework 2.3.0 — I know) to the current one?

I have customizations done in a child theme so am not worried about those, but we did utilize a lot of the Theme Options for customizing as well — will those be reset? What about the main navigational menu?

We’ve recently updated WordPress to the current version, all plugins are current, and I’m wondering if I should update the theme or leave it as is. Are there significant security benefits to updating it? Or is there a concern about it functioning properly with the current platform otherwise?

With the idea of updating the theme manually, I’ve uploaded the latest version to a folder within Themes called “akita-new” planning to rename the current install “akita-bak” and then renaming the new one to “akita” to see if that totally blows up my site… if it does, and I switch them back, will my current settings be preserved?

Thank you much,
    Anya

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hi Anya,

I’m going to try to address all of your concerns, but I’m going to rearrange things in a little bit different order that I think makes sense for the information I’m giving you. But I think you’ll see that this is all much easier than you’re realizing. 🙂

Can you please help me understand what will happen if I update from an old version of Akita (Akita 2.0.2 with Theme Blvd Framework 2.3.0 — I know) to the current one?

First off, don’t stress too much, as this isn’t all that big of a jump you’re making. You’re basically going from 2.0 (framework 2.3) to 2.1 (framework 2.4). This is mainly the information you want to pay attention to, which isn’t all that much at all.

http://support.themeblvd.com/updating-to-framework-v2-4/

With the idea of updating the theme manually, I’ve uploaded the latest version to a folder within Themes called “akita-new” planning to rename the current install “akita-bak” and then renaming the new one to “akita” to see if that totally blows up my site…

Yes, let’s start with this. I would suggest you do this so you can see what happens, first hand.

if it does, and I switch them back, will my current settings be preserved?

Yup, if you change the directory names back on your server so that the original theme is named “akita” again, everything will go back the way it is. All settings will be preserved.

We’ve recently updated WordPress to the current version, all plugins are current, and I’m wondering if I should update the theme or leave it as is. Are there significant security benefits to updating it? Or is there a concern about it functioning properly with the current platform otherwise?

Yes, I would suggest updating. There are some somewhat significant security updates. But mainly would think things are looking pretty bad in your WordPress admin panel. Your version of the theme was published before WordPress 3.8, which is when WordPress redesigned the entire admin interface. The theme then made updates to fit in with this.

I’ve had several customers (using framework 2.3) over the last year posting that they have a lot of trouble getting our layout builder interface to work 100% properly and that they can’t edit all of the elements, and I have to explain they need to update to the latest version of the theme because they’re using a version published before the WordPress 3.8 admin redesign.

but we did utilize a lot of the Theme Options for customizing as well — will those be reset? What about the main navigational menu?

None of this will be effected, no. Can you imagine if every time people updated the theme, they lost all of their theme options and menus? Yikes! I’d have a never ending list of support queries. 😉

I have customizations done in a child theme so am not worried about those

In terms of child theme customizations, I can’t really say if everything will work perfectly after updating, with just no way of knowing everything you’re doing. This is why you always want to test your child theme before pushing updates live.

But I can say that if you are at a point where you’re able to make code customizations from a child theme, it may be time to also look into a little bit better overall workflow. You really want to have a way to maintain the latest version a little more frequently. It is important, especially with how rapidly WordPress is starting to change and how quickly security issues arise, these days.

Basically you want to setup your site in a way where you can make updates and test those updates before, pushing to the live site — often referred to as a “staging” environment. This is how most developers set things up (well not “most” but the most responsible ones ha). For example, I have a local server where I have copies of all my sites, and make all updates there — WordPress, plugins, parent theme, child theme customizations — Then, I push those updates to the live site, when I know those are okay.

Some web hosting companies actually have this built into their hosting, which makes life easier if you’re not a server person. WPEngine is a good one — they have a feature called one-click staging:

https://wpengine.com/one-click-staging/

Anyway, that’s just my two cents. In terms of your update, I’m sure in reality you won’t have any problems. It’ll probably be quick and easy, but if you have a problem, just let me know.

azolotusky

Jason,

You are so stinkin awesome — thanks a lot for taking time to reply with all that good info!

I feel a lot better about experimenting with the update now, and will try renaming the theme folders through ftp. And if I understand you correctly, the theme settings will be preserved, even though the theme directory is renamed?… Or would they only be preserved, if I FTPed the new theme files into the existing theme directory? I understand what you said about if I rename to the new version, and then rename back, the theme settings would be preserved in the old version; what I’m wondering now is how to preserve the theme settings while updating to the new version.

Thanks again. I so appreciate your help.
    Anya

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

None of what you said should result in losing your theme settings. The theme settings are saved to your WordPress database; they are not saved within physical files of the theme.

The theme options are saved to your database with an ID generated from the name of the active theme. From what you’ve told me this is your child theme. So, if your child theme were named “My Child Theme” the theme settings are saved to your database with ID mychildtheme. This does not change from updating your parent theme files.

In other words, as long as your child theme remains active, and the parent theme you want to be utilized has the directory name “akita” — your theme settings will remain in place.

azolotusky

Thanks yet again, Jason — really appreciate your taking the time here. I am voting you for President… though really, you deserve better than that.

Anya

azolotusky

Jason,

Just a quick follow-up to let you know that as you predicted, the theme update went seamlessly — no issues whatsoever except needing one easy font color update in the child theme. Thanks again for helping me understand the voodoo of theme settings and why this probably wouldn’t make the entire site implode. This is above and beyond theme-support and well into world-class customer service. Thank you.

Anya

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Glad to hear it!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.