This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Updating from Alyeska from 2.1.3 to 3.0.0

• Creator
    Topic
    ajsinger

I’d like to upgrade from Alyeska 2.1.3 to 3.0.3, but I am a little concerned after reading this post. Should I upgrade? What is the best way to do it? Also, I find that I am not able to change what’s in my widget areas anymore. When I remove widgets, the page continues to look the same. I am rather assuming that this is a compatibility issue between Alyeska 2.1.3 with WordPress 3.8, and am hoping that the Alyeska theme update will fix this. Would love to hear feedback.

Thanks,
    Adam

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

I’d like to upgrade from Alyeska 2.1.3 to 3.0.3, but I am a little concerned after reading this post. Should I upgrade?

You should always be staying up to date. What specifically is your concern?

The issue the user was having in the post you’re referencing was pretty straight forward. They had a bunch of pluggable functions they were editing from their child theme’s functions.php. When you’re updating, this is an easy thing to spot. If you get an error that says “Function whatever already exists” — Then, you need to re-evaluate how you’re customizing that function.

What is the best way to do it?

You should be updating responsibly in some sort of staging environment. You should never be pushing theme and plugin updates to a client’s live site, not knowing what the initial result is going to be.

The physical process of updating is the same as any WordPress theme. You’re just replacing the old “alyeska” folder in /wp-content/themes/ of you WordPress installation with your updated “alyeska” folder that you download from ThemeForest.

Have you seen this video from your documentation? It might be helpful:

https://vimeo.com/41533135

Just make sure you read through the update article for going from Alyeska 2 to 3:

http://support.themeblvd.com/updating-to-framework-v2-3/

When I remove widgets, the page continues to look the same. I am rather assuming that this is a compatibility issue between Alyeska 2.1.3 with WordPress 3.8, and am hoping that the Alyeska theme update will fix this.

There are no compatibility issues with Alyeska 2.1 and WordPress 3.8 in regards to widgets taht we are aware of. Nothing as you’re describing has been reported on any theme.

Are you sure you’re editing the correct widget area you think you are? Is it possible you’re using some sort of caching plugin on your site like W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache, and not clearing the cache?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.