This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Unhooking the menu

• Creator
    Topic
    cnaccour
    Participant

Hello,

Could you please advise how i can unhook the menu from its place, and add it on the top right beside the logo?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    cnaccour
    Participant

ok i kinda figured this out…. but i added the search button instead of the menu which is what i want… but one problem i am facing is that it doesnt align with the logo when i float it right…..

add_action( ‘themeblvd_header_addon’, ‘get_search_form’ );

it does if i add a margin-top:-40px but that messes it up for mobile… any advice on how i can achieve this jason?

another question…why doesnt jumpstart have a turn off mobile support like alyeska and akita does?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Just in general with styling these elements, you need to style what you want to happen as you move down viewport sizes. For example —

.whatever {
    }
    .whatever-else {
    }

/* Tablets */
    @media (max-width: 979px) {	
    	.whatever {
    	}
    	.whatever-else {
    	}
    }

/* Mobile */
    @media (max-width: 767px) {	
    	.whatever {
    	}
    	.whatever-else {
    	}
    }

So, in this case if you putting 40px of margin on the top of the search field puts it where you want, that’s fine, but then you also need to style it how you want moving down viewports. As you get to the mobile, you might want to set the top margin to 0 and the float to none. Does that make sense?

another question…why doesnt jumpstart have a turn off mobile support like alyeska and akita does?

This would honestly kind of contradict the principles behind Jump Start and giving you a blank canvas to build off of. Jump Start doesn’t include any options that have to with styles. This idea is for the developer to do more adding on than stripping away.

This original question about styling the search form is actually a good example of why there shouldn’t be just an on/off switch for responsive. It’s so just so subjective. Your site being responsive is really a matter of how you style it. — The only real other factor is the viewport meta, but for such a simple thing, it seems sort of unnecessary for an option.

Here’s some more info on making your site unresponsive, if you didn’t find this article: http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/disable-responsive/

cnaccour
    Participant

Makes perfect sense jason,

but now im facing another problem, since i added the search form to the top, if i search, the search form will float right on the search results page which messes that up. how would i remove that search bar from the search result page.

do i need to copy the search.php into my child theme and make the amendments there? i honest dont even see where in the search.php where you are re-showing the search form

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

You just need to be more specific with whatever selector you’re using to target your search form.

For example, maybe you’re targeting it like this:

.themeblvd-search { ... }

Then, you just need to look at what elements wrap the header and target it specifically in that location only.

#top .themeblvd-search { ... }
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.