This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Turn off mobile or switch for desktop

• Creator
    Topic
    hyperdude
    Participant

I am wondering how to turn off the mobile version of the site or better yet have a user option to switch the mode from the frontend.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

The idea of having a button for the user to “switch” away from the mobile site is sort of becoming an old fashioned way of doing things, or at least in conjunction with the concept of responsive design, which is what Jump Start is going for. Generally, the approach of being able to switch to a non-mobile website ties to having a completely separate site for mobile users. However, this isn’t really the case when we’re talking about this newer trend of creating “responsive” websites.

If you’re working with your Jump Start child theme, and you don’t want it scale down responsive on mobile, then you would just write the CSS so this is the case. If this seems completely foreign, start with the one of the provided Jump Start sample child themes, and in the style.css file, look for the sections that start with “@media” which are targeting smaller viewport sizes.

Then the other thing you’re going to run into is some very minor things buried in the framework like the viewport meta tag for example. So, just throw this in your Child theme’s functions.php to disable these little bits:

function my_global_config( $config ){
    	$config['display']['responsive'] = false;
    	return $config;
    }
    add_filter( 'themeblvd_global_config', 'my_global_config' );
Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.