This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Transition to child theme

• Creator
    Topic
    dklahre
    Participant

If I begin with a parent theme and then 6 months down the road I choose to switch to a child theme, will there be any problems with the conversion? My second question is, for things like adding adsense banners and boxes, can I do this with the parent theme without having my code wiped out with a new version of Alyeska?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

If I begin with a parent theme and then 6 months down the road I choose to switch to a child theme, will there be any problems with the conversion?

No, not really. See here: http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/switching-to-a-child-theme-after-youve-already-started-building-your-website/

My second question is, for things like adding adsense banners and boxes, can I do this with the parent theme without having my code wiped out with a new version of Alyeska?

A child theme is for making code customizations. If you’re editing the code of any physical files of the parent theme, this will get wiped. If you’re adding this adense code through functionality in WordPress admin features — for example, maybe you paste the adsense code in a text widget and place it in one of the ad location widget areas — this will not get wiped by updating.

dklahre
    Participant

I installed the child theme and am now making changes. The interface looks the same as the parent theme. With this in mind, shouldn’t everyone just start with the child? Is there a drawback to using the child as opposed to a parent?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Yeah, there’s no difference. I can’t really think of any drawback other than many people find the general concept confusing. So, it’s an extra step of something to deal with and manage. It confuses a lot of people of having an active child theme, and the parent theme just sitting in the themes directory, seemingly inactive.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.