This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Thumbnails grew after update?

• Creator
    Topic
    mike-se
    Participant

The thumbnail sizes seem to have grown after updating to Jump Start 1.0.1 and updating plugins to latest version?

Have a look here: http://www.studiojemi.com/bonuspappan/

Is this an issue with your update?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    karlo
    Participant

If you are jumping up and down in annoyance try look at

.featured-image-wrapper a {
    	position: relative;
    	display: inline-block;
    }

Used to be

position: relative;
    	display: block;
    }

They sit right if you change back but side effects are unknown until dev. gets up and explain change. He is in Alaska or something. If he was drunk last night, update party?, it will be evening at your place before he is clear 🙂 Can fiddle with this until then.

mike-se
    Participant

Thanks Karlo! Worked fine.
    We’ll wait and see what dev says when he sobers up.

There are other issues as well it seems when it comes to mobile views.

karlo
    Participant

I would be so bold as to say no – but I cried a lot at first look. I had put widgets side by side when stacked at bottom. Often widgets look stupid, cant take up enough space. After updated they were side by side – in freaking sidebar, heh.

Also all that background.

@media (max-width:979px) {
    #container {
                     /* max-width: 748px; */ max-width: 935px; box-shadow: none; }
    }

But this is not a bug or anything, just numbers that have changed. Personal preference what you like. “Mobile menu” also kicks in sooner. I think I prefer 1.0.1 but if you like me have custom code for various media queries there is work to be done.

Anyway this is probably worth a new thread. Admins dont like too much chitchat. I have been caught before so have to stop. With a link WinMerge – compare CSS files and you see changes much clearer. Download 1.0 and 1.0.1 – unpack to 2 folders, compare. Have changelog in mind. Windows only, well if on Mac you can find something similar I bet.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Thanks for bringing this up. It looks like the issue you’re referencing is in Firefox and IE9, but not in Chrome and Safari, which is why I missed it I guess.

The fix Karlo gave is what you want, but let me explain the purpose behind this, anyway. With these anchors set as display: block, you get the following when scaling down:

But with them as inline-block, you have something you can work with like this:

… And so now if you wanted you could center them easier or whatever:

That was the idea behind this, but I guess this won’t work because there are obviously issues with this in Firefox and IE. I think I can still do this, but just apply the inline-block at the mobile viewport when the columns drop, opposed to just by default. — Although maybe this would be better suited just for you, the developer of your Child Theme, to decide. That might be less complicated for everyone. If you want to display the featured image as an inline block at the mobile viewport, you can code it in. I may move it out of the framework and into the default style.css of Jump Start instead.

I will play with this more, and will do an update soon to fix. What other issues are you having? — http://support.themeblvd.com/forums/topic/issues-with-jump-start-1-0-0-update/

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

What this issue is

In Firefox and IE, you may see some over-hang on featured images with anchor tags like this:

Fix for this issue

For anyone browsing here and wanting a temporary fix to this issue until Jump Start 1.0.2 comes out, put this within your Child theme’s styles:

display: block;
    }
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

@karlo In regards with the new media query max widths you were pointing out, my friends and I nickname it the “snap effect” — This was a bit of a bold decision and probably the most noticeable thing someone would see comparing v1.0.0 and v1.0.1, but this is something I’ve thought a lot about recently. If you’d like to discuss this pros/cons or whatever, feel free to start a topic about it.

karlo
    Participant

I have no issues with it – is only CSS so can be changed 🙂 If I want old 515 back I can do that.

My only beef with media queries is what I said about “thin” widgets getting pushed down too early. Seem out of place sometimes. Is general observation so has not really anything to do with Jump Start or its defaults. Think it is lazy web dev. thinking because not that difficult to fix. eleven40 from StudioPress http://demo.studiopress.com/eleven40/ pffff. Was their first “mobile” theme, still not done… But not instantly supereasy to manipulate widgets, need columns/grid like code – content might change – and then they suddenly must stack anyway, waaaaaah – screw it… 🙂 Media queries are not set in stone but similar to padding, margin and what ever. Has to keep Jump Start environment in mind, like values for “hide on XXX”, mobile menu button and such – but doable to do what one pleases.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.