This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Tagged: 

Theme Update Notification

• Creator
    Topic
    kennethfeldman
    Participant

Hi Jason,

I have many, many websites that have been built on the Jump Start 1.2.x theme. All of them are highly customized via child theme modifications (via CSS, template mods, and pluggables).

Now that Jump Start v2.x is out, it looks like each website will be indicating the availability of a theme upgrade to version 2.x.

But since it’s such a drastic (amazing!) upgrade, child themes developed for v1.2.x will certainly break due to the changes in the core CSS, templates, and pluggables.

Is there a way to turn off the upgrade notification for v1.x websites?

If someone were to accidentally (or innocently) press the upgrade button, it would totally wreck the website. That would be a devastating result to such a simple action.

I’d be less than happy if the “upgrade” option is permanently offered via the WP admin for all of my users. One of them may get tempted and therefore wreck their own website.

Any thoughts on how to mitigate this potentially disastrous outcome?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hi Kenneth,

If you send me the domain names and what license key they correspond to, I can disable them from my end, if you like. I’ve never actually done it to tell you it 100% works, but I’ve found in option in my admin that appears to let me do that — So I’d be glad to try!

You can send me the info here: http://support.themeblvd.com/submit-private-information/

Just please post here after you’ve sent the info, so I know to check.

kennethfeldman
    Participant

Jason, that sounds great.

I’ll have to assemble that list and send it to you.

While I’m excited to start using the Jump Start v2.0 system, I may yet build out more sites on V1 since I have such a broad experience with that — so I’d need to alert you each time I launch a new site. (It will take me some time before I can switch over to v2 for all future builds.)

With that said, I have a couple of questions:

The current version of v1 is Jump Start 1.2.7 with Theme Blvd Framework 2.4.5 — do you foresee any updates to this? I’m concerned that if there is an update (e.g. a security issue) that I won’t be able to get it if we disable my sites via your system.

Is there a way to differentiate between v1 and v2 going forward? Almost as if they were two different themes?

Perhaps the licensing and/or update notifications could be limited to each version? This way v1 sites would only get update notifications if there is a subsequent v1 update. And then v2 sites would only get update notifications when the v2 gets an update? Just a thought.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Have you had a chance to checkout the Jump Start FAQ that I think addresses some of what you’re asking?

http://wpjumpstart.com/faq/#v1-support

so I’d need to alert you each time I launch a new site.

I’m not following. Why do would you need to tell me every time you’re starting a new site? I think maybe we’re not on the same page here.

Why don’t you just tell me the license key you’ve been using, and I can disable all currently active sites on it? Then, moving forward any site you’re working on with v2, you can activate yourself from your WordPress admin.

I’m concerned that if there is an update (e.g. a security issue) that I won’t be able to get it if we disable my sites via your system.

But newly posted updates through the in-dashboard update system are irrelevant to you if you’re using v1.

I think this may be what you’re not understanding: If I disable one of your sites, you can always activate it again. I’m not banning it or anything. It’s just me undoing your original activation. At any time you can just click the little “Activate” button at Appearance > Theme Updates on your site and activate it again.

Now, for your v1 sites that have been deactivated from auto-updates. Through the winter until I decide to stop supporting it, you can always just login to the support site here and get the latest version and then upload it to your site through FTP. Easy peasy, should take minutes. — I’ll only be posting security patches and such, so hopefully no update should really cause any hassle in the sense that it would break something on your site.

There’s also still a live changelog you can look at any time so you can verify you’re on the latest version:

http://themeblvd.com/changelog?theme=jumpstart-1

Is there a way to differentiate between v1 and v2 going forward? Almost as if they were two different themes?

You mean like on the same website? Just have them in two different theme directories. Just make sure that whatever you name the directory matches up to what’s in your child theme’s style.css.

For example this support site is on a WordPress multisite network. There are a couple of sites (like this) still requiring Jump Start v1. So here on my site, I have:

/wp-content/themes/jumpstart/ ... This is v2
    /wp-content/themes/jumpstart-1/ ... This is v1

… And I use them as separate themes. And in the style.css of a child theme for v1, I have changed the “template” parameter to say “jumpstart-1”.

/*
    Theme Name: Theme Blvd WPML
    Description: This theme is a Child theme of Jump Start. 
    Author: Jason Bobich
    Template: jumpstart-1
    */
    kennethfeldman
    Participant

Hi Jason,

You had originally said:

“If you send me the domain names and what license key they correspond to, I can disable them from my end, if you like.”

So if I had to send you the list of domains, then I thought that I’d need to send you all future domains that I created V1 sites on.

But if you can just deactivate my license, then that would do the trick. (Except that I have several V1 sites that are not fully updated to the newest V1 versions. So I have to complete those updates before I do this with you.)

NEW IDEA:

Jason, what if I purchase a new license, and then only install V2 sites under that license?

Maybe then we can deactivate updates for the old license number, while allowing updates to sites installed under the new number? Would that solve the problem of separating my old/new sites?

Thank you so much for assisting with this issue!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Ha I’m not sure what getting another license would accomplish? I think you’re making something that is super simple, really complicated.

If you’re using Jump Start v1 on a website, disable automatic updates now. Simple as that. Unless you’re going to update that site to Jump Start v2, there’s no reason to have auto updates on, at all.

How to disable a site your self from auto updates:

1) Login to WP admin
    2) Go to Appearance > Updates
    3) Empty the license key field, and save the page

OR, if this is really too much hassle for you to login to each site, I can do this for you in bulk from my end. The action is not permanent, in any way.

Except that I have several V1 sites that are not fully updated to the newest V1 versions. So I have to complete those updates before I do this with you.

What you’re saying doesn’t make sense. If you have a site with an older version of v1, and you use the auto-update system to update it, it will then be on v2! … So if you intend it to be on v1, disable it from auto-updates all together, and handle bringing it to the latest v1 manually.

… “manually” means to come to the support site, download it, and then upload it to your site through FTP. There’s no other way to do it, if you’re keeping a site on v1.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.