This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Theme update install

• Creator
    Topic
    khits
    Participant

Do we need to uninstall the previous version of this theme in order to install the new version? I tried installing via WP dashboard and get this message Destination folder already exists. /home4/kenhitsm/public_html/mswc/wp-content/themes/alyeska/

Theme install failed.

Need to know what to do to get it going . Thanks.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

If you’re doing this all through your WordPress admin, yes, you’d have to first delete the previous version. But honestly this is not how I would be updating a WordPress theme that plays an important role on your site.

On your server, if you go in with an FTP program or any kind of file manager provided by your host, your themes all live here where you have WordPress installed:

/wp-content/themes/

And so you will find this theme here:

/wp-content/themes/alyeska/

I would make a backup of the previous version of Alyeska by changing its directory name to something else like “alyeska-1.1.5” and then just upload the new alyeska folder (i.e. alyeska-2.0.0.zip unzipped).

khits
    Participant

OK. That works to a degree. I did the update as you described, loading the plugs immediately etc. Unfortunately all of the custom widget settings are gone,amongst other issues. It basically moved widgets into areas they weren’t supposed to be in. Also lost my google fonts, some featured images are not showing up. Seems like a bit of a snafu going on here. Any Idea why? I’m doing this on my sandbox site so not a big deal. I’ll let ya know what other things need tweaking.

khits
    Participant

Few other problems, for some reason my old logo image which was great before, is now soft and not as defined as it was previously. The line spacing in the slider Headline for images aligned left or right, is supper tight now, where it was fine before. It also seems like the line spacing is slightly different for the main body font now. Columns that were even in text height before are slightly different now. One of the main things I was hoping that would be fixed is the slider images constantly re-sizing, subsequently causing content below to shift up or down. I tried the fix you mentioned by setting a fixed height, but it leaves a big empty space when viewing in a mobile environment. Did you also change the shortcodes for buttons etc. My round buttons are now showing up as square with a gradient on them.
    Can you point me to a link explaining the benefits of updating to this version. Some things I see I like but some I like the way they were. Thanks.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Can I see a link to your site to try and address the issues you’re describing? Apply the fixed height on the slider so I can see that, as well.

khits
    Participant

Sure. I already fixed all the misplaced widgets, google fonts, and background. Here’s the site http://www.mswc.hitsmandesign.com Another question I have, is it possible to completely get rid of the old blue BG. You can see it load ever so quickly before the Red BG takes over. Kind of annoying.
    Was I supposed to only use the new 3.0 Aleyeska and not the new Child theme. In other words would my old child theme have worked? I obviously used my custom CSS once it was loaded. Thanks for any help with this.

khits
    Participant

Forgot to mention, here is the live site version that the update was supposed to look like. http://www.mainstreetwinecompany.com so you can compare the differences.
    Thanks.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Unfortunately all of the custom widget settings are gone,amongst other issues. It basically moved widgets into areas they weren’t supposed to be in. Also lost my google fonts …

What you’re describing here are what would happen only if you switched themes, or changed the Name of your currently active theme. It’s actually the main points covered in this article.

[edit]

Yeah, that’s what happened. I’m comparing your two sites, and your live site has this for the name of the Child theme:

MSWC Child Theme

And your new staged site has this for the name of the Child theme:

MSWC

… some featured images are not showing up.

This however is kind of weird. I’m not sure what updating the theme would have anything to do with your set featured images in WordPress. Had you been editing content-whatever.php in your Child theme? Or is it possible this is just a side effect of when you transferred your site to your staging environment?

for some reason my old logo image which was great before, is now soft and not as defined as it was previously.

This is because the logo image now takes a width parameter to allow for the optional retina version. Currently you have width of 350 set. Just go to the logo option and put in the true width of your logo image, which is 250, I believe.

The line spacing in the slider Headline for images aligned left or right, is supper tight now, where it was fine before.

Yeah, this isn’t right. Will be fixed in the next update.

It also seems like the line spacing is slightly different for the main body font now.

This hasn’t’ changed. The body line-height is 1.625 with your selection of font-size and font.

Columns that were even in text height before are slightly different now.

All this is the same in terms of font, as pointed out previously, but what I think what you’re noticing is that the overall width of the layout is not identical to before. So you’re seeing this reflected with inner elements.

One of the main things I was hoping that would be fixed is the slider images constantly re-sizing, subsequently causing content below to shift up or down. I tried the fix you mentioned by setting a fixed height, but it leaves a big empty space when viewing in a mobile environment.

Unfortunately because of the limitations of the flexslider plugin, there is no automatic fixed height adjustment if you’re using the “Fade” transition. If you go to your slider settings and change to the “Slide” transition, you’ll see that you have an option that appears to keep the slider at a consistent height (this is new, didn’t exist previously).

The only way to do this is to set a height with CSS from your stylesheet. However, then obviously as you scale down your site with the viewport sizes, if you do not also adjust the slider height, you’re going to get an uneven height on tablet and mobile.

See /assets/css/responsive.css of the theme to see how you can target your styles to the tablet and mobile viewport sizes using @media queries.

Did you also change the shortcodes for buttons etc. My round buttons are now showing up as square with a gradient on them.

The theme now incorporates Twitter Bootstrap. All of the buttons are styles from that, with the addition of all the framework’s extra button colors.

http://getbootstrap.com/2.3.2/base-css.html#buttons

Can you point me to a link explaining the benefits of updating to this version. Some things I see I like but some I like the way they were. Thanks.

You’re of course free to use whichever version you want. The last version 2.1 will work fine in the current version of WordPress, however I’m sure this will not be the case forever. For example, WordPress announced a couple weeks ago in San Francisco that they’re speeding up the WP release cycles. WP 3.8 is estimated to be due in December, and it was announced the other day that for 3.8, they’re planning to implement the changes they’ve been working on that completely re-styles the WP admin. I’m sure this will require a significant backend updates from the theme. — just an example of why trying to clinch to an old version of the theme might not be a great idea, moving forward.

On a side note, you can pretty easily style buttons to look more similar to before, if that’s what you want.

.btn.red {
    	background: #700;
    	border-color: #700;
    	-moz-border-radius: 99px; 
    	-webkit-border-radius: 99px; 
    	border-radius: 99px;
    	-moz-box-shadow: none;
    	-webkit-box-shadow: none;
    	box-shadow: none;
    }
    .btn.red:hover {
    	background-color: #AF3636;
    }

Another question I have, is it possible to completely get rid of the old blue BG.

Yeah, this isn’t right. I’ve figured out why this is happening, and will fix for the next update.

Was I supposed to only use the new 3.0 Aleyeska and not the new Child theme. In other words would my old child theme have worked?

The old child theme would have worked fine, yes. The only difference between the old and new is that you are no longer required to use the custom.css file (although will still work just fine) that came with the previous child theme. So the idea is that the new Child theme is just more simple to use. It would confuse a lot of buyers that they had to use the custom.css file, opposed to style.css, and so we wanted to fix this.

khits
    Participant

Thanks Jason. Actually the featured image mention was a mistake on my end. However I’m still confused why the logo now gets fuzzy when before it was resized within the theme it stayed sharp. So I assume moving forward I would just make a logo file the size I actually want it instead of having it resized via the theme? I do want to move into this release , I’ll just have to wait till some of the bugs are fixed. In the meantime I will play with it on my sandbox site.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I’m not sure I’m not totally following what you mean about the logo, but right now what you have going on is fairly straight forward. — You’ve got a 250px width image, and the HTML from the image has a width of 350px set (which comes from the theme options). So you have a 250px image magnified to 350px; this will always appear blurry on any website. Does that make sense?

So, if you want to keep it at 350px width, you need to upload an image that is also 350px, or you’ll have a blurry image. On your current, live site, you’ve got the logo image displaying at its native size (looks like 340px for that image), which is why there’s no added blurriness.

khits
    Participant

Hey Jason, My bad. Didn’t realize the logo image wasn’t the same as in the media library. Fixed now.
    So I installed the latest update. Am I able to adjust the line spacing further by using the custom CSS? It’s still quite a bit tighter than the original. Better than it was, just a bit too tight.
    Thanks.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Sure, you can customize anything you like with Custom CSS.

For CSS changes, it’s a good idea to use a tool like firebug or Google Chrome’s built-in developer tools to locate them and then put the edits either in your child theme or in the “Custom CSS” option on your theme options page.

For example —

.standard-slider .media-align-left .slide-title, 
    .standard-slider .media-align-right .slide-title {
         line-height: ...;
    }

Also, here’s a helpful tutorial on how to use Firebug – http://vimeo.com/20917974. The only thing I’d suggest not doing is actually making edits to the theme’s CSS files, as it shows at the end of that video. However, the video serves as a good introduction to Firebug and how it can be used to find what CSS is effecting certain areas of your site without ever digging around in any files.

khits
    Participant

Thanks. Wonder why the spacing changed so drastically tho. One last thing (hopefully) For some reason on the live site (old theme) my favicon is only showing up when the homepage is loaded. In other words it’s not showing up when all the other pages load. My favicon file is in the root directory of my wp install. What am I missing? Thanks.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

This wouldn’t have anything to do with the update. The theme doesn’t have any control over your favicon. This could also just be a caching thing your web browser, which is quite common and annoying when working with favicons.

If you’re having issues with the favicon.ico file just sitting in your WordPress install directory, you can use a plugin to specify one in your site directly. I’ve got one you can use if you want that will blend in with your Theme Options:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/theme-blvd-favicon/

khits
    Participant

So I’ve installed the newest version of the theme 3.02 and have some questions. As mentioned before there was a spacing issue with the slide titles. I used custom CSS to set the spacing I liked. Now the problem is that at smaller viewport sizes(mobile/tablet) the spacing and font size is so much that I’m losing words and it’s making the slider size too big in relation to the actual slide image.. I disabled my custom css and found out that this had no bearing and is a result of the new default spacing for those screen settings. In other words the last 2.x theme did not have these issues at all. All spacings for slide titles were nice and viewable at all viewport sizes. Also in this new version the font size and spacing on the smaller viewports is so much bigger than the former sizing. You can compare my old test site http://www.mswc.hitsmandesign.com running theme 3.02 to http://www.mainstreetwinecompany.com running 2.x(last version)

Am I gonna have to write separate custom css rules for different view-port sizes now?

The other thing I’ve noticed is you did away with the old mobile drop down nav system with a new non-labeled nav drop down. I think the old version was a bit more user friendly and invites usage/clicking where as the new version is apparent to designers but not so much to real world users. Anyway to get the old way back or at least throw a label on it?
    I ‘d like to switch my clients site to the current version for the previous reasons you mentioned (WP support etc) so I would like to get this sussed out.

Thanks.
    Ken HItsman.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Am I gonna have to write separate custom css rules for different view-port sizes now?

I apologize if you don’t like the updated stylesheets, but if you want to make customizations to how things look at different viewports, then yes this is what you’ll need to do, unfortunately.

The other thing I’ve noticed is you did away with the old mobile drop down nav system with a new non-labeled nav drop down.

Go to Appearance > Theme Options > Configuration > Responsiveness and I believe the third style of the main menu is what you’re looking for.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.