This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

tb-sidebars.php error?

• Creator
    Topic
    Ron
    Participant

I am building a website with current versions of TB Jumpstart and a copied child, Jumpstart-Stretch (using the TB version of Stretch results in the same problem). I get a page crash error that only occurs on the home page which was built using layout builder, 4 column elements using text, floating widget slider, etc.

I am getting the following page crash error when browsing to the home page (this error occurs both in WP or outside):

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
    More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

The server error log shows (subbing XXXX , xxxxx for domain.etc.):

20130510T173233: http://www.XXXXX.com/GWFA-XX/index.php
    PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘=’ in /hermes/xxxxxx/b1879/moo.XXXXX/GWFA-XX/wp-content/plugins/theme-blvd-widget-areas/tb-sidebars.php(322) : eval()’d code on line 1
    PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘=’ in /hermes/xxxxxx/b1879/moo.XXXXX/GWFA-XX/wp-content/plugins/theme-blvd-widget-areas/tb-sidebars.php(322) : eval()’d code on line 1

The weird thing is this page worked fine on Monday, and I went out of town and came back without changing anything, and it was broken.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Ron

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Ron
    Participant

P.S. Just tried something…. Deactivating “Theme Blvd Widget Areas” clears the page crash, but then the widgets I was using on other pages no longer are available.

Ron

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Ron,

Are you trying to use some sort of custom conditional in assigning one of the widget areas where you’re putting in your own line of code? What are you putting in? — It’s something to do with this, I think.

Ron
    Participant

Not in a widget area that is on the page that is crashing.

Ron
    Participant

But removing the custom code from all (2) widget areas seems to clear the problem.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Not in a widget area that is on the page that is crashing.

This wouldn’t matter. When your site loads loads, before you get to displaying any of the current page, the framework and the plugin are looping through determining which widget areas are supposed to show in which locations. If no other sidebar is found before, it’s going to catch your conditional statement in this loop in trying to determine if it should show or not. If you have an invalid PHP comparison statement, then that’s all she wrote; everything is going to crash before you’ve displayed any of the site.

Ron
    Participant

Ok. I removed the conditionals (which seemed to work as desired in the pages that didn’t crash) and did those pages a different way. Still not clear why it didn’t crash the other pages when I went directly to their URLs, but this works now.

Thanks again,
    Ron

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Still not clear why it didn’t crash the other pages when I went directly to their URLs, but this works now.

It’s just a matter of chance, really, in how you’ve set things up. If a sidebar match was found before hitting your conditional statement, then the loop is exited without ever executing your command, and so there wouldn’t be an error.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.