This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Swagger Theme Update cleared all my widgets in Widget Areas.

• Creator
    Topic
    taylorcsu
    Participant

After performing an update for the Swagger theme, all the widget area are blank and all the widgets are on the left side and are marked as inactive widgets. We have over 50 widgets areas and it would take hours to put the widgets back in each widget area. Is there a fix this this issue?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

I’m not really sure this will have anything to do with the theme specifically, but how you updated it. I believe WordPress saves all widget data prefixed with the template directory of the theme — i.e. swagger_*

In this update process have you changed the directory name that the theme resides in? Or switched from using the parent theme to a child theme? Unfortunately if you have done these things, I’m not totally sure if you can get the widgets back, now that you’ve gone to the Widgets page in your WP admin.

How did you make the update? Are any of these things I’m suggesting relevant?

taylorcsu
    Participant

I changed the old swagger theme to Swagger-2014 and then installed the new swagger theme. Do I need to go pull a file or anything from Swagger-2014 and put into the new swagger folder?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I’m sorry to hear this has happened for you.

Unfortunately, no it doesn’t work like this. This is all handled by WordPress and how it stores its data in your database. While a theme simply registers sidebars and designates where they output on the frontend, nothing in any theme files holds this data. I’m not quite sure what can be done at this point, other than putting the widgets back from Inactive Widgets.

But I can’t recall anyone else reporting this happening on this theme or any other theme from simply updating the theme. Maybe if you told me a little more specifically what you did and how you did it when you were updating, I can be of further help for preventing this in the future.

gsot
    Participant

We experienced something similar on our site when we tried to install the latest theme updates. It only carried over the first three links of our main nav menu and only half of the bottom footer widget areas. We are now trying to just install a backup version of our site because the impact was so significant.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Did your process in updating include any changing theme directory names? Or activating/deactivating different theme directories in your WP admin?

gsot
    Participant

We did not change theme directory names. We loaded the new Swagger theme but do not believe we activated it since we’re using a child theme. Something else we should have done?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

If you’re updating manually, it’s important that all you do is update the files themselves, which is usually done with a simple FTP upload. It really should be a simple process, where some people make it more complicated by thinking they have to do a bunch of stuff in their WP admin.

As I originally asked @taylorcsu, would you mind sharing with me more exactly the process you took in updating the theme, as best as you can recall? When you say “We loaded the new Swagger theme” — what does this mean?

It helps me, as well, in writing documentation and making videos, to know what customers are doing. And maybe I can identify where your widgets could have cleared.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Swagger Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.