This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

superfish dropdowns not showing in ie8

• Creator
    Topic
    John
    Participant

I took out background to eliminate z-index issues and I don’t see any errors in “console”, but no dropdowns in ie8? I’m sure it’s something I did along the way since a previous version of this child theme works, but…

http://174.121.16.2/~heather/rxas/dispensing-systems/

any thoughts would be appreciated.
    john

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello John,

I’m going through in IE, and I am just honestly not sure why you’re having this issue. But looking at your site, I’m seeing just a real clutter of different CSS files you’ve included that belong to various sample Child themes I’ve included. I’m not just not sure where to even start in what I can look at on your site to see where the issue is.

What I would do is just start commenting out CSS files in your Child theme one-by-one until you see what file is causing the issue. Then move onto that file and start commenting out blocks of CSS within to narrow down within the file. When you’re dealing with a mystery problem and you just don’t know where to start, this is sometimes just what you have to do.

John
    Participant

thanks jason,
    I have it narrowed down to the fact that I explicitly set #access {position: relative} in order to add a z-index. Trying to figure out how to preserve stacking w/out this property. I’ll keep chippong away at it.

askwpgirl
    Participant

Hey Johnny, I had a similar issue. It was a drop down issue in IE 8. Thought it was a theme problem, but then I commented out all of my CSS customizations and narrowed it down to something I did with my #access divs. So, definitely check that out. Sometimes we have to rethink our CSS approach. Usually, we do one thing to one element to try to solve a problem there rather than where we ought to be dealing with it, such a clear float in the header. So, these modifications build up on each other and really wreak havoc on x-browser compatibility.

Rule of thumb: The more complicated you find your CSS workarounds getting (lots of positioning properties and z-indexes for example), the more likely you are approaching it the wrong way. Think Zen.

John
    Participant

Thanks Angela,
    I managed to get to the bottom of the problem (which in the end is ie). See you soon.
    John

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.