This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Tagged: 

Sliders: Cannot add new or edit existing, but they're working

• Creator
    Topic
    msiep
    Participant

I’m trying to add a new slider and am getting a message “Oops! Somehow, you’ve entered an invalid slider type” despite having left the type dropdown on “Standard”. In troubleshooting this, I found that if I try to edit an existing slider, I get a “Slider not found” message. However, my existing sliders are working fine on my site. This is with a Jump Start child theme. Any ideas what the problem might be and how to fix it? Thanks!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hmm, did you try deleting the sliders plugin, and re-installing the latest version? Is there something you’ve coded in your child theme that could effect things? Have you tried disabling the child theme?

msiep
    Participant

Thanks! The culprit was the following that I recently added to my child theme functions.php:

/* phpMyBackupPro Scheduler script to automate MySQL database backups */
    include 'phpMyBackupProSchedule.php';

When I commented out the include statement, the sliders worked again. However, I do want to use scheduled phpMyBackupPro database backups, which requires me to include that script somewhere. Is there a better place or way to do that?

msiep
    Participant

BTW, I noticed that the “Allow height to adjust on each transition?” option is available only if the transition is slide, not if it’s fade. I’d find it extremely helpful to have that option also when the transition is fade.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

BTW, I noticed that the “Allow height to adjust on each transition?” option is available only if the transition is slide, not if it’s fade. I’d find it extremely helpful to have that option also when the transition is fade.

These options correspond to parameters of the jQuery script we use to control the slider, called Flexslider, and the parameter for this, called smoothHeight, only works with the slide transition.

[edit] It looks like recent updates to Flexslider have this working for fade. So I can look into adding the option in a later update.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

And apologies, but about the backup script, I just have no idea what it’s doing or anything, to know where you’d include it or why it’s breaking things.

msiep
    Participant

That would be great if you get smoothHeight working working for fade in a later update. I much prefer fade to slide because it’s less distracting if the user is trying to read another part of the page. But for things like testimonials that differ in length it makes everything underneath keep moving around. For the moment I’ll just have to manually set a DIV height that’s big enough for all the slides.

I seem to have fixed the slider / phpMyBackupPro script problem by changing the code in my functions.php to:

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------*/
    /* phpMyBackupPro Scheduler script to automate MySQL database backups */
    /*--------------------------------------------------------------------*/

function phpMyBackupPro() {
    	include(get_stylesheet_directory_uri()."/phpMyBackupProSchedule.php");
    }
    add_action( 'wp_head', 'phpMyBackupPro' );

Thanks!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.