This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Slider does not load after adding NextGen Gallery plugin

• Creator
    Topic
    benwhut

Hi Jason.

I just updated Alyeska from v2.0.1 to 3.0.2 and everything works great except for the slider. I’ve narrowed it down to the NextGen Gallery plugin that causes it to break so it’s likely a javascript issue like you’ve mentioned in other posts on this support site.

If I disable the NextGen gallery plugin, the slider works (but my gallery images don’t show), but when I enable the plugin, the slider stops working.

Do you have any insight on how I can troubleshoot this? With 2.0.1 both the theme and NextGen plugin worked fine together, but now with the new version, it’s either one or the other. I’d appreciate any help with where I can look to troubleshoot this and both the plugin and the sliders in the theme working again.

Thanks!

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Do you have a live link to the issue with NextGen activated where I can see the issue?

benwhut

http://speedprodigital.com

It’s a live site so I’ll activate the problem now for the time-being until I hear back from you.

Note all the gallery sections you see are being created by the NextGen gallery plugin (including the sidebar gallery preview).

Here are the links with the slider in them at the top:

http://www.speedprodigital.com
    http://www.speedprodigital.com/gallery

benwhut

Here are some screenshots before and after:

http://tinypic.com/r/xn93ew/5

http://tinypic.com/r/21cxg6u/5

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I’m not quite sure why the next gen scripts coming before the flexslider file breaks its javascript, but maybe you can try switching it around so the flexslider script comes before (this is how would have been setup in the previous theme version). This way you’re just including the script before next gen has a chance to break anything?

Try doing this from your child theme’s functions.php:

function my_scripts() {
    	wp_enqueue_script( 'flexslider', TB_FRAMEWORK_URI . '/assets/js/flexslider.min.js', array('jquery'), '2.1'  );
    }
    add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'my_scripts', 5 );

Does that solve the issue?

benwhut

I just added your function to the functions.php file in both the Alyeska theme and the child theme (which I’m running). Not together, just one at a time to try, but neither seems to make a difference.

The nextgen script still seems to come before the flex slider script. Is there any other way I can force the nextgen script to load after the flex slider?

The function you provided is live on the site right now. Can you take another look?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hm, that actually did what I was wanting, but didn’t fix the issue obviously. Try it like this so the script gets included in the <head>:

function my_scripts() {
    	wp_deregister_script( 'flexslider' );
    	wp_enqueue_script( 'flexslider', TB_FRAMEWORK_URI . '/assets/js/flexslider.min.js', array('jquery'), '2.1'  );
    }
    add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'my_scripts', 11 );
    benwhut

That did the trick! Thank you so much!!

benwhut

Hi Jason.

While you’ve had a chance to look at the site, is it possible to have a thumbnail image show up for the blog posts on the homepage? For example, when you scroll down, there’s a post called “Vancouver Firefighters’ Charitable Society Events Van” which has a Feature Image set in the post, but it does not show up on the homepage. Only when you click on the Blog page or the post itself will the feature image show up.

Is there a way to have it show the thumbnail on the home page as well?

Homepage – no thumbnail:
    http://www.speedprodigital.com

Blog page – image shows:
    http://www.speedprodigital.com/about/blog/

Post page – image shows:
    http://www.speedprodigital.com/news/vancouverfirefighters/

Thanks!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Yeah, something’s not right there. I don’t believe there’s any combination of options that could result in that happening. Have you made any edits to content-list.php from your child theme or anything related to adjusting template part files?

benwhut

My install is pretty much all off-the-shelf vanilla because when I went from 2.0.1 to 3.0.2, I had to replace the theme completely from scratch.

The only changes I made was the function you just got me to add in functions.php and I added the following CSS to the custom CSS section (mostly has to do with Nextgen gallery formatting):

.ngg-album-compact { height: auto !important; width: auto !important; }
    .ngg-album-compactbox { background: 0 none !important; height: auto !important; width: auto !important; }

.ngg-album-compactbox .Thumb {
        border-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);
        box-shadow: 0 3px 4px -2px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8);
        height: auto !important;
        padding: 1px !important;
        width: 176px !important;
    }

.ngg-album-compact h4 {
        text-align: center !important;
        width: 187px !important;
    }

.ngg-album-compact p {
        text-align: center !important;
    }

.element-slogan .has_button .slogan-text {
        line-height: 56px;
    }

I didn’t make any changes to the content-list.php file. This is its contents:

<?php
    /**
     * The default template for displaying content in post list.
     */
    global $more; $more = 0;
    ?>
    <div class="article-wrap">
    	<article id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>" <?php post_class(); ?>>
    		<header class="entry-header">
    			<h1 class="entry-title"><?php themeblvd_the_title(); ?></h1>
    			<?php if( 'show' == themeblvd_get_option( 'post_list_meta', null, 'show' ) ) : ?>
    				<?php themeblvd_blog_meta(); ?>
    			<?php endif; ?>
    			<?php if( comments_open() && 'show' == themeblvd_get_option( 'post_list_comment_link', null, 'show' ) ): ?>
    		        <div class="comment-bubble">
    					<a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>#comments" class="comments-link"><?php comments_number('0', '1', '%'); ?></a>
    				</div>
    	        <?php endif; ?>
    		</header><!-- .entry-header -->
    		<div class="entry-content">
    			<?php themeblvd_the_post_thumbnail( themeblvd_get_att( 'location' ), themeblvd_get_att( 'size' ) ); ?>
    			<?php themeblvd_blog_content( themeblvd_get_att( 'content' ) ); ?>
    			<?php if( 'show' == themeblvd_get_option( 'post_list_tags', null, 'show' ) ) : ?>
    				<?php themeblvd_blog_tags(); ?>
    			<?php endif; ?>
    			<div class="clear"></div>
    		</div><!-- .entry-content -->
    	</article><!-- #post-<?php the_ID(); ?> -->
    </div><!-- .article-wrap (end) -->
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I am honestly not sure on that one. If you want to give me a login to your WP admin, I can maybe poke around later tonight and see if it’s some issue with the theme and your setup?

If you want me to do that, you can get the info to me by going to My Account > Submit private info here on the support site.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I guess we both kind of missed that one. —

In the layout builder, within the options of the Post List element in your homepage layout, you have an option for how to display the featured images, and you had it set it to hide them.

benwhut

Thanks Jason! I don’t know if I would have ever found that!!

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.