This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Sidebar Widths

• Creator
    Topic
    don4law
    Participant

I.m need different sidebar widths for the double sidebar. You can set different widths when both sidebars are on either the right or left, but not when there is a double sidebar with one sidebar on the right hand side and the other is on the left, with both equal sizes. I need different sizes to adjust for real estate and different content volume. Is there a way to make the change in themeblvd.css which is where I found the adjustments for the others?

Fixed width where sidebars are on either side:

.double_sidebar #content { width:60.7%; }
    .double_sidebar .fixed-sidebar { width:16.65%; }

Widths on same side:

.double_sidebar_left #content, .double_sidebar_right #content { width:46.1%; }
    .double_sidebar_left .right-sidebar, .double_sidebar_right .left-sidebar { width:31.25%; }
    .double_sidebar_left .left-sidebar, .double_sidebar_right .right-sidebar { width:16.65%; }

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Sure you can, but you shouldn’t be any editing any files of the theme. Any CSS overrides you want to make should go in your child theme’s custom.css. The sidebars have classes “left-sidebar” and “right-sidebar” you could use in your own overriding styles. You don’t necessarily have to use just what’s in themeblvd.css —

For CSS changes, it’s a good idea to use a tool like firebug or Google Chrome’s built-in developer tools to locate them and then put the edits either in your child theme or in the “Custom CSS” option on your theme options page.

.double_sidebar #content { width:60.7%; }
    .double_sidebar .left-sidebar { width:16.65%; }
    .double_sidebar .right-sidebar { width:16.65%; }

Also, here’s a helpful tutorial on how to use Firebug – http://vimeo.com/20917974. The only thing I’d suggest not doing is actually making edits to the theme’s CSS files, as it shows at the end of that video. However, the video serves as a good introduction to Firebug and how it can be used to find what CSS is effecting certain areas of your site without ever digging around in any files.

don4law
    Participant

Thanks tons.I just added this to custom CSS and it seems to work great. Is that an okay way to do it?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Yup, perfect!

bowerstech

Hey Jason, the custom css instructions agove are great. What if I want to stretch out the size of the whole layout? In other words, I want all three columns to take up 1400 instead of 960?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Note: The answer to this topic is a little outdated now. Since integrating Twitter Bootstrap’s scaffolding system in Alyeska 3.0+, we’ve got this article explaining how to change sidebar widths.

http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/sidebar-layouts/

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

What if I want to stretch out the size of the whole layout? In other words, I want all three columns to take up 1400 instead of 960?

Hi there,

Here’s a snippet you can use: http://support.themeblvd.com/forums/topic/change-the-width-of-a-single-page/#post-7054

Just remove all of the .page-id-123 classes because you’re applying it globally. To learn and see what you’re overriding, see the top of /assets/css/shape/boxed-light.css.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.