This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Sidebar stacking

• Creator
    Topic
    johnsimpson
    Participant

When using the theme’s left sidebar the content in the left sidebar stacks on top of the main content when the site goes into a responsive mode. Can I change that so that in responsive mode I have 1) main content then 2) left sidebar then 3) right sidebar?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

A cool trick you can try is to use flexbox CSS methods to arrange the containers. In your custom CSS, this could look something like this:

@media (max-width: 480px) {
    	#sidebar_layout > .sidebar_layout-inner > .grid-protection {
    		display: box;
    		display: -moz-box;
    		display: -webkit-box;
    		box-orient: vertical;
    		-moz-box-orient: vertical;
    		-webkit-box-orient: vertical;
    	}
    	#sidebar_layout #content {
    		box-ordinal-group: 1;
    		-moz-box-ordinal-group: 1;
    		-webkit-box-ordinal-group: 1;
    	}
    	#sidebar_layout .fixed-sidebar {
    		box-ordinal-group: 2;
    		-moz-box-ordinal-group: 2;
    		-webkit-box-ordinal-group: 2;
    	}
    }

This should work in iOS (Safari) and Android (Chrome), but I’ve never personally tried it on a Windows phone or IE.

========

For CSS changes, it’s a good idea to use a tool like firebug or Google Chrome’s built-in developer tools to locate them and then put the overriding edits either in your child theme or in the “Custom CSS” option on your theme options page.

========

Note: I moved your other question here, as it is a separate issue and I’d just like things to more clear for other browsing the forum.

johnsimpson
    Participant

Thanks for your help! I am just curious as to whether you have any plans with your framework to support variations in content hierarchy like what is discussed in this article, http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2013/04/25/maintain-hierarchy-content-choreography

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

This sort of a tough topic for a template, because this is all custom to the site you’re designing. But I do have this issue with the sidebars showing above the content worked out in the next update with a similar approach I’ve shared here.

johnsimpson
    Participant

for our next project I think we are going to purchase your WordPress Jumpstart framework rather than starting with one of your finished themes. that way we will put our energy toward adding what we want in our design rather than removing functionality you have in the theme.

with that said, will the Jumpstart framework have the option to put content above sidebars?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

will the Jumpstart framework have the option to put content above sidebars?

Yeah, so for framework v2.3, which both Jump Start 1.1 and Akita 2.0 will hold, this is just by default in the CSS, were I use flexbox methods to place the sidebar below content. It won’t be an option or anything, but something that will just happen.

johnsimpson
    Participant

excellent! I’m gonna go ahead and buy Jump Start this week…will I get the upgrade when it is available? also, do you know approx. when that will be?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

will I get the upgrade when it is available?

Yes, Jump Start comes with an automatic update feature from your WordPress admin panel. Also wpjumpstart.com links up to your “johnsimpson” account here. So, when you’ve purchased with that username over on wpjumpstart.com, you’ll have access for one year to the latest jumpstart download by going to My Account > Downloads here on the support website.

also, do you know approx. when that will be?

Hopefully in a couple weeks just after WP 3.6 is released. But it’s important that this update happen after WordPress has released 3.6.

johnsimpson
    Participant

Hi Jason,

Have you updated JumpStart yet to stack sidebars under content? If not do you know when you’ll be doing that? We have not yet bought JumpStart but will very soon to use in our next project. Thanks!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Yes, this happened in Jump Start 1.1:

http://themeblvd.com/changelog/?theme=jumpstart

And was also added with Akita 2.0:

http://themeblvd.com/changelog/?theme=akita

(Both use Theme Blvd framework 2.3)

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.